1752571 Members
5084 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 5 on DL380 G4 acroos all 6 hardrive

kuza

Raid 5 on DL380 G4 acroos all 6 hardrive

Hi

I'm trying to create RAID 5 with hot spare on the HP Proliant DL380 G4 with all 6 harddrives the size is 300 GB each disk.

Please let me know how can I do it or if it's possible at all

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Hi

When the Smart Array controller finishes initializing, you should see message "Press to run the Option ROM Configuration for Arrays Utility". So press F8. Now select option "Create logical drive". You should see 6 drives with checked boxes next to them uncheck on of them using the space key, then use the TAB key, cursors and space and to select RAID level and assign spare drive. Then press Enter and create an array. Alternatively you can use SmartStart CD to run Array Configuration Utility to do the same job (ACU). ACU has more configuration options, but if for example you don't need several logical drives on the RAID-5 Array, ORCA will be enough.
kuza

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that I have two controllers, one is HP Smart Array 641, slot and second one is 6I .

I did try to that you said but I still see hardrives separated.

Thank you again
kuza

I guess that I need is to make all hadrdrives to be connected to ONE controller. correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Hello again
So you mean that you have 2 drives connected to SA-6i and 4 to SA-641 (or vice versa)? In that case you have a duplex SCSI backplane. You have two options. First is to remove the terminator board from the backplane and connect the backplane SCSI buses using short SCSI cable, (if I'm correct, the cable that connects 6i from motherboard to SCSI cage will do), then connect SA-641 to the remaining connector on SCSI backplane (the SA-6i will be useless). The other method is to buy SA-6402 controller which has 2 channels and you can connect them to both SCSI buses on the backplane. You will need 2 long SCSI cables to do it though, and both SA-6i and -SA-641 will be useless. You can find information about SCSI cabling here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687567/c00687567.pdf
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

In other words you need Simplex SCSI cabling (on page 60 of DL380 G4 Maintenance and Service Guide)
kuza

Yes,

It works as I need it

Great work , Thank you
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

My pleasure :)