6567 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Raid 5 stuck on Waiting for Rebuild

PeterEKCA
Occasional Visitor

Raid 5 stuck on Waiting for Rebuild

Hello,

I had a bad drive on one of my Raid 5 array's that I just replaced.  It started to rebuild fine and then it stopped and was marked as 6 = ReadyforRebuild

I copy of the event log below and I also attached an ADU report. 

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Cissesrv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 24800
Date:  8/23/2012
Time:  11:25:07 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: CAFILE1
Description:
Logical drive 3 configured on array controller P800 located in server slot 5 returned a fatal error during a read/write request from/to the volume.

Logical block address 2, block count 54656 and command d5 were taken from the failed I/O request.

Drive bus 215 and drive bay 80 were returned from the host firmware as the last physical drive (associated with this logical request),  to report a fatal condition.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Cissesrv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 24643
Date:  8/23/2012
Time:  11:25:07 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: CAFILE1
Description:
Due to an unrecoverable read error, the recovery of logical drive 3 configured on array controller P800 located in server slot 5 was  aborted while rebuilding a physical drive. 

The physical drive which was being rebuilt is located in bay 7 of box 1 which is connected to port 2E of  array controller P800 located in server slot 5 .

The physical drive that reported the read error is located in bay 9 of box 1 which is connected to  port 2E of array controller P800 located in server slot 5.

Although no other drive is reporting a fail.  Just a read error. 

Also please see attached report.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Peter

4 REPLIES 4
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Can you please update the ACU and create a new report, because the attached one is created with a very old version and it's hard to find out, where is exactly the problem? The controller FW needs an update too.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

You will see quite a few thread if you find waiting for rebuild in this forum.

Make sure you have Valid Backup before you try anything

Check rebuild priority settings, Controller Firmware and install latest version of ACU as suggested in previous post.

If rebuild priority is set on medium or high, controller firmware is latest then power cycle the server and observe on post whether it initiate recovery/rebuilding process.. if it does not re-create array and restore backup.

please share your thoughts

hope this helps,

How to Say Thanks... Click on Star Kudos

Cheers!

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

PeterEKCA
Occasional Visitor

Thank you both for your feedback.  I will do this tomorrow and update my results. 

The software isn't a problem to update, but I'm just a little hesitant on updating the firmware on the Raid card.  I've updated firmwares on raid cards connected to superloaders, but this is a live RAID configuration. 

I'm just worried that it will lose its array configuration.  Is that a possiblity or no?

Thanks again.

Peter

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

Raid is at degraded state and it's not rebuilding. Could be various reasons for this issue. So please take a complete backup.

Once you have validated your backup.

We may try to recover this conditiion by trying the steps suggested in the previous post.

Firmware update generally does not cause logical drive failure. however, in this situation since we are not sure whether we have problem with controller, cache, logical drive, data or firmware, I would suggest to take backup first.

Thanks,

Aftab

How to say thanks, Click on White STAR Kudos

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo