1753797 Members
7372 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid HW mirror how to break?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Raid HW mirror how to break?

Can anyone tell me how to force a mirror set to break on this system. Here is what I am trying to do. I have a situation where if a server goes down I have almost no time restore from tape and don't have the finances for an HA cluster. So I would like to take the break the raid 1 mirror sets on this box and put 1 of the disk on a shelf in the building. Then install a new drive where the old one was and rebuild the mirror. If anything goes wrong on the system I can just shutdown pull all drives, grab the spare off the shelf boot up, get back on-line and then rebuild the mirror set from the good spare drive. Is this possible? Please let me know.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Yes this is possible but it will only help you if the data on the backup Hard Drive is operating system and software. Please make sure that your data is on a different logical drive. To rebuild the hard drive, shut down the server and replace one of the hard drives and let it rebuild.
I hope this helps.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have tried to break a mirror taking off one of the two hard drive. Then I have tried to boot from the one that I took off, without success: Either getting a blue screen ***STOP: 0x0000006B (0xC000000D, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, either it says non-system disk.

It seems not easy to do so...
Any idea?