ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752729 Members
6015 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Raid array on dl380 g3

NickMDal

Raid array on dl380 g3

I am worrying about drive failure. The ultra 320 10k scsi (3 drive) 5i array has been running for over 4 years. No problems at all. Our admin is overseas and I am now the local person responsible for the hardware.

I expect one drive will just fail without much warning. Where might I find the procedure to rebuild a failed drive onto a spare drive? Is it just a matter of hot swapping the one flashing red?
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Raid array on dl380 g3

> rebuild a failed drive onto a spare drive

Do you have a 4th drive set up as a *hot* spare? If so the 5i will use it automatically if one of the 3 drives fail. If you don't have a spare drive you are still protected. The RAID5 array can tolerate a one-drive failure. If that happens, there is no special procedure, you replace the failed drive.
NickMDal

Thanks for the help. So replacement is just a matter of pulling and replacing the old? That is easy enough.

Can you tell me how to find out about setting up a spare? Is it plugged into the server? How is the drive readied for this?
TTr
Honored Contributor

> How is the drive readied for this

You need to use the ACU (array configuration utility) and a couple of very intuitive mouse clicks. The ACU should be already installed on the server.