1753451 Members
5969 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid problem

Gianni GALLY

Raid problem

I have a Proliant ML350G5 with RAID5 2x72GB.

After installing Win 2003 and other software, I decided to place the second disk onto the first slot and vice versa.
My target for this test was to verify if, in case of problem, it was possible to restart, at least from one good disk.
I was surprised to see that server does not started, saying that the disk onto first slot had not the operating system.

How can I verify if disk is mirroring correctly?
There is a way to solve my problem without reinstalling all programs?

Thanks for a replay.

7 REPLIES 7
e4services
Honored Contributor

I understand your test, but confused on your procedure. How was it that switching the disks slots was to prove -case of problem, it was possible to restart, at least from one good disk.- ??
Would not simply unplugging a single disk be the test?
I do think your problem is the shuffling of disks.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Gianni GALLY

Hi, Thanks for having found time for your replay.
Leaving the first HD in slot one, and the second HD onto slot two, server restart properly. Server does not restart if I invert HD position.
It seems like if Operating System is installed only on the first hard-disk and not on both HD (as I supposed, considering that have to mirror).
Then, how can I restart the server in case of problems on disk one?
In other words, how can I verify if mirror is working also for the operating system?
Thanks in advance.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You should be able to validate and test using the Array Configuration Utility and Array Diagnostic Utility installed as part of the ProLiant Support Pack.
e4services
Honored Contributor

My confusion was, why do you wish to swap the positions? What is the test proving?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Gianni GALLY

Thanks again for having found time for replaying.
I will run smart start >> maintain server >> diagnose array (and eventually also I will run ├в configure array├в ). I will tell you the results.

Please, consider that this server is used daily by our end-users.
Then, following the procedure of ├в configure array├в , is it possible that some data are lost?.
Best Regards.
Gianni GALLY

Concerning e4services consideration, with this test my target is to verify that no matter which disk will let me restart (eventually also with only one disk on the server).
e4services
Honored Contributor

Point being, do NOT switch the drives in there installed slots. To check the Mirro, simply remove one disk at a time and restart. With disk 0 removed and disk 1 left installed, the server should boot. DO NOT move it to the position of disk 0 and expect it to boot. What I did not understand was why you are swapping there positions. THey have to stay in their positions.
Hot Swap Hard Drives