108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid question (1+0) and 0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pviana

Raid question (1+0) and 0

Hi,

The server is proliant DL360 4G. Running from 2 years from now.

has 2 Hd's 72Gb SCSI doing raid from hardware controler

Since had few "space" on HD's was decide in that time:
3 logicals drives, and info that HP raid utility displays is:
C: - RAID (1+0) near 15Gb capacity
D: - RAID (1+0) near 30GB capacity
E: - RAID (0) near 43Gb capacity

The question i ask is:
If i remove the second HD(hotplugg) and insert a new one what happens?
C: e D: start work as raid 1 and i dont lost any information on that logical partitions? and will be copied/mirrored to new HD inserted/replaced?
E: will lost all information/data? need to format again E: on new inserted HD?

Thx,
PV
10 REPLIES 10
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Can you post an ACU screenshot. There should not be a difference in RAID levels among the logical drives.
Pviana

Hi,

theres the screenshot.

Tkx,
PV
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor
Solution

When the new disk is inserted, C and D (logical drive 1 and 2) will rebuild. However, logical disk 3 data will be lost. the array could be reconstructed again but all data in that partition is not gonna be available for good.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

One more thing, can you post the physical view?
Pviana

So i lose data on E: and rebuild it on new HD.

Disk E: isnt important i can lose all data on it, its used only for backups and them its data its "moved" to other server/PC.

I never used ACU before... so i ask
With ACU i can remove Logical drive E: and create/add a RAID (1+0), as C: and D:, near 20Gb right?
Can i do it from windows environment without losing C: and D: or even without stopping the server?

If its possible them changing HD's all data on 3 logical partitions will be rebuild.

thk,
PV
Pviana

Hi again,

I think thats what are you asking David right?

if not how can i get the physical view?

I see in ACU that i can delete Logical Drive 3 (E:), so i supose i can create after i delete another one (1+0) right? so i can change HD's without losing data

Ill have to go out soon, if i dont reply any questions you may have, ill answer them later.

Thkx,
PV
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

A brief Idea of how ACU handles drives.
-In ACU you create a Array which is clubing 2 or more disk to be part of the same group
In your case you have 72X2=144GB space combined.

- Now you created a logical drive C which is 15GB and (RAID1+0) so actually it will take up 30GB(15GB redundant)
- Logical drive 2 is again 30 GB so it will take 30+30=60GB

- Now you are left out only with ~40GB space which you created as RAID0 part.
Now when u club the drives everything is striped on those drives, that means all the data on C, D and E are stripped on both the disks,
- Now when one disk fails, you definately loose E drive as there is no redundancy, but the C and D will rebuild as its RAID1, part. So I think if u back up E and then replace the drive then there should not be any issue,

The physical view needs one more screenshot that is the physical disk view from the ACU, in the center pane you get a physical view and logical view.
I hope its somewhat informational

Andy
Pviana

Thk again to all for helping me on this

David Claypool, with the help from Stor i now post the correct physical view.

I ask again, in windows enviroment, remotely, can i delete Drive E(40Gb-raid 0) and build one of 20GB-RAID(1+0) whith out turning off server? no matter losing data on E.

So i can mantain C:RAID(1+0) and D:RAID(1+0) and have a new E:RAID(1+0) with 20Gb instead of 40Gb.

Thk again for helping me on this issue,
PV
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don`t think there is any issues in doing that, be sure there no software stripping/mirroring configured on the server, if not then go ahead with the changes.

Andy