108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid1+0 Migration to RAID5

SOLVED
Go to solution
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Raid1+0 Migration to RAID5

Hello, i have HP Proliant ML350, with Smart Array 641 Controller, i have 1 Logical drive arround 10GB on Array A RADI1+0 and 2 logical drives 300GB in Array B RAID5.

My system is on the first logical drive Raid1+0 and it is running out of space, i bought a new disk 300GB and inserted, i want to use that disk to expand my system disk which is RAID1+0, now the Array Configuration Utility suggest that i migrate RAID1+0 to RAID5, how can i do such migration safly? is there a clear procedure to follow? i need to add more space to my system disk urgently, please help. thank you
10 REPLIES 10
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Please see the message displayed by the ACU attached here.
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Ahmedsu,

I understand Ur current station; please do not hurry anything without backup (valuable data).

Jest follows Array Configuration Utility Migrate process.

Hope for the Best,

Thanks--Yaqub
HP Support!!!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

everything is normal.
You have even number, added another HDD and now you can't make an 1+0 logical drive...

As for the migration, the controller don't need additional prerequisite(like BBWC) to make an array expansion and log. drive extension, you can go ahead...There is always a 1% risk of something going wrong, but in theory it will do it , you don't have to worry

Pac
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Thank you guys, the migration to RAID5 was successful and i could expand.

Just one small thing, the additional HDD that i have has 300GB, i could only expand the Logical HDD in Array A to 17GB and still have more than 200GB unused space, i don├в t know why i am not able to add more space to the logical Driver in A, is it because that the initial drive size was 17GB?

Thank you again.
Terence Tsao
Frequent Advisor

Hi ahmedsm,

After migrate raid_1to raid_5,you need to extend logiacl disk_1 space, then in windows disk manager, you will find addition free space from extendind.
But, system partition can't on-line extend with diskpark.exe. You must using ghost or partition magic to perform off-line extend partition size.

regards.
Terence
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Hello Terance, thank you for your quick response, please have a look on the attached screen shot for ACU, as you can see i cannot go farther than 17GB with that logical drive, as for the partition tools, i use Acronis Disk Director server.
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Ok there is a mistake the size that i was viewing is just 244MB not GB, so i think the expand wasnt successful, i had a look on the server now and all the HDD's are blinking RED, is a reboot after the migration to RAID5 required? please advise. thank you
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Now everything is stable, just can't show up the 300GB additional except in the ACU.
rheiden

The raid 5 array wil only use 9.1 GB of your 300GB drive because the other drives in the array are that size.

Otherwise it would be impossible to do the raid 5 redundancy wouldn't it:)