108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Raids

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Stape
Occasional Contributor

Raids

I have a Proliant ml350 g4p with 641 raid controller setup as raid 1.  A while back I ran out of space and updated the 2 drive to hotswap 146 gb scsi drives but I didnt erase the old ones just in case.  Now I woud like to add the 2 original drives to a identical proliant that has a raid 5 configuration. I now want erase these dirves.  Here is my game plan tell me if this will all work.  1) remove the 146gb drives and keep them in order.  2) install the old drives and boot from the smartstart disk.  3) Remove the raid configuration on the disks. 4) Remove the old drive and reinstall the 146gb drive and restart.  5) push one of the old drives in the raid 5 system and run the windows raid configuration software to configure. 6) let the system rebuild adding the space.

I appriciate any help

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
srqda
Occasional Visitor

Re: Raids

Hi, I guess most of he people don't quietly understand what you mean. Tell me please how many drives are in the server and what do you want to do with the new ones. I mean you want to erase them and to add them to the raid 5 or what?

Michael Stape
Occasional Contributor

I have two server with scsi raid.  One has a raid 1 and had the disks upgraded from 74gb to 146gb but I kept the old drives and did not erase them. I now want to use those 74gb drives in the second server which has a raid 5 configuration with 3 drives and 1 hotswap drive all 74gb.  To use the two 74gbs  I need to erase them.  The only way I know to do that is by putting them back in the original server and running smartstart..  I assume by all that I read I can remove the 146s and put the 74s drive in temporarily. I also assume I can put the 146s back in with no trouble once I completed the task.

Lastly can I just push one of the two 74s into the raid 5 server and run the windows utility to add the drive. 

srqda
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Hi :) The way that you have written is ok. Don't forge to pull out all of the discs when the server is powered OFF. Otherwise you can loose the data. Theoretically you can add the 72HDDs to the new server without erasing them, when you add them to the raid the space should not be recognized as fulled.

srqda
Occasional Visitor

Actually, you can put the additionall 72GB in the 2nd server and if you have PSP installed you can launch the ACU and erase the 2nd logical drive even online

Michael Stape
Occasional Contributor

Actually HP themselves told me not to slide those drives into the new server because it may cause the raid to error out
Michael Stape
Occasional Contributor

Thank You all for the confirmation!