ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752781 Members
5924 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Random Power Down on DL180 G6

richard sh

Random Power Down on DL180 G6

We have an odd issue with 3 DL180 G6 servers where randomly (usually once every 2 weeks or so) the servers shut down (not gracefully) at the same time. The power light turns yellow and we have to physically unplug the power cables from the power supply in order to restart them. Merely pressing the power button to restart will not work. There is no heat issue, since the rooms are climate controlled. The strange thing is it happens to all 3 servers at the same time. They are on the same power source that the others (which don't have this issue) are on. There are several other HP servers on the same rack without this problem. Anyone have any clues or suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Re: Random Power Down on DL180 G6

Hi Richards.

Bios and ilo to update.

Bios and ilo version for check below link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3884340&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884339&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4022#12212

regards
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

richard sh

Thanks for the response. I updated the BIOS and ILO to the latest as suggested, but this morning the same thing happened. Any other considerations? Thanks very much for your help!!
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Power supply can be problem.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

richard sh

hi there... thanks for the e-mail. it happens on BOTH of my servers at the same time. is it possible BOTH redundant power supplies on BOTH servers are bad?
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check the power source and if you have a UPS,

sometimes it could be a PowerSupply or some "short circuit"

mikap
Richard Brindle

I have the save sort of Issue, I just bought 2 DL180 G6. They are both connected to a APC Smart Ups 2200, there are other devices on the Smart-Ups, but one of the DL180 G6 ramdomly just shuts down,If i plug it into main power instead of UPS it stays up and running, I have tried the obvious changing power cord to the ups and changing the power socket on the UPS. Could it be a faulty PSU in the DL180 G6 ?
juhajo

I'm having exactly the same problem: DL180 G6 server that shuts down randomly. Did anyone find solution to this problem?
Meg CSO

This is happening with our DL360 G6. HP says they are not aware of any issues.
wgillespie
Occasional Visitor

When my UPSes switch to battery mode, my DL180 G6 shuts off.  These same batteries will keep other servers and equipment on, but the HP server power supply must be picky about the power feed it gets.

Perhaps for those having this problem there is a slight surge, or something that makes your UPS switch to battery mode and the servers shut off?  Could be tested by doing a manual test of the UPS.

Then again, perhaps it's not common and I just have a bad power supply on my server.  Anyone care to test their setup?