Did you mean: 

Re-building Raid configuration.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ivan Damoah
Occasional Contributor

Re-building Raid configuration.

Hi All,
Could you please help me to have clear understanding of this issue in my office.
we have a RAID five configuration on five 72 Ultra scsi 10K HDD in ML370 SRV. Now due to disk space, we want to purchase new HP HDDSCSI 146GB GB Pluggable Ultra320 15K Universal Hard Drives to replace the old one.
how do I go abt this, do I need to reconfigure everything again or just by inserting the new drives one by one, it will build on it's own.
kindly help.
5 REPLIES
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Re-building Raid configuration.

In a RAID Array all the hard drives needs to be the same size. If you replace a 72GB HDD with a 146GB HDD, that's going to rebuild the data, but is going to work as a 72GB hard drive, the other espace is going to be shown as unused or unallocated. Now you can try rebuilding one hard drive at the time and once you have rebuild them all with 146GB HDD and if you have the optional battery for your smart array controller, you can "expand" the array to add this unused or unallocated space into the array and then "extend" to extend this logical drive. That process takes a long time, I would recommend to backup the data replacing all the 72GB hdd with 146GB HDD all at the same time create the array and logical drive and then, restore from backup. If something goes wrong with the backup, the information will be on the 72GB Drives since the array configuration and the data is on the HDD not on the storage controller or the Server, you just need to put the 72GB HDD in the same place same bay and this way you'll have all the data safed.
Ivan Damoah
Occasional Contributor

Thnx a lot Mr.Gary Benavides Meza.
I would really prefere to rebuild everything again but my Boss may not agree to that.
may I know how long it take during extending an unallocated disk to a logical drive?
Does it take several hours or days.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Ivan,

For each disk it should take less than one hour to rebuild the data onto it. When the disk status changes from rebuilding to OK you can move to the next drive.

Once each drive has been replaced you can expand the drives, this is a quick operation again less than one hour.

Last, from within the OS you must extend the drive (in Windows first convert the disk to dynamic). However, if the disk is the system partition or the boot partition or if it contains a pagefile, you will not be able to extend without third party software (that usually requires you work offline.) I agree with the previous poster that backing up the data, replacing all drives, rebuilding the array, and restoring the data is your safest and best plan.

Good luck!
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

In theory it takes 15 minutes per GB of data. And then you need to expand and extend the logical drive, extend and expand the logical drive takes less then 30 minutes. And do as the previous person said. The OS will detect and unallocated space you can create a new partition with that space or expand the existing.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

My mistake, I was cheking and a rebuild operating requires approximately 15 to 30 seconds per gigabyte on a smart array controller, that let's me know I was wrong regarding the rebuilding time.

Page 15
Automatic data recovery with rapid rebuild technology
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687518/c00687518.pdf