9858 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: few questions about ProLiant DL360 G7

primoz1
Advisor

Hi. first must say thx for help post.

I got only one processor installed, and I add RAM where be original when I got server in my hand's like on attached picture, I think is some issue on motherboard or some missing parts ?

I connect monitor and keyboard and never got even one blink on that monitor no VGA signal from server at all.

edit: here is movie how this situation look http://tinypic.com/r/m8zhbd/8

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/DL360_Inside.jpg

22 REPLIES 22
waaronb
Respected Contributor

The array battery missing wouldn't keep it from booting up. It would still boot and then give some kind of error or message when the array controller does it's check.

The DL360 G7 has 3 memory channels per processor and 3 modules per channel. That's 18 slots total if you have both CPU's installed.

Does your server have 2 CPU's installed, or just 1? Make sure you're only installing modules where there's actually a CPU installed.

Look at the quickspecs for the memory population guidelines... it tells you which memory modules to install where, and where to put the highest ranked modules. If you do that wrong, it will probably say all of the memory modules are having problems, so just follow the guidelines.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=north_america&type=html&docid=13598
waaronb
Respected Contributor

That definitely looks like a memory configuration issue.

You'll notice on the motherboard that next to each CPU there are 9 memory slots... 3 banks (or channels) of 3 modules.

The first memory module in each bank MUST be installed in the white DIMM slot, and from the video it looks like you have 2 modules in the white slots of banks, and they are in bank/channel 1 (and 2 in your second test) of CPU1, which looks correct.

The next question is, what are the specs of the memory modules you're using? Do they have HP part numbers or are they 3rd party? (the HP part number would make it easier to verify what they are, but non-HP memory can work fine too if they're the correct type). It looked like an HP sticker on the memory but I wasn't sure.

Are they RDIMMs or UDIMMs, what speed, and do you happen to have another system that you can test them in to make sure the modules are okay?

To make it easier to test, I'd just use one DIMM at a time in bank 1 in the white slot. If there's an error in the first channel, it might cause them all to have a problem.

You can also take a close look at the slots themselves, make sure there aren't any obvious problems like bent pins.
primoz1
Advisor

Hi. This two RAM is I think original what come with that server and PN: 500202-061  and second two is same characteristic but from samsung.

Those two from HP wont work im my test machine, but samsung work, but on the end HP or Samsung not work on server.

I try all combinations till now, with all four rAM stick, with just one and so one, but allways same, because of that, I wonder maybe something about that missing battery bank.

Is frustrating thing, Im not rookie on computers, but must confess this is hard like walnut :)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Keep in mind, once powered on a DL380 G7 can take up to 3 or 4 minutes before you get video signal and see POST

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
primoz1
Advisor

Ouu I dont know that, I thought is like on other computers, where you get POST allmost instantly when push PWR btn.

OK. will check that option too, but Im worried about beeps, but will test right now again.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you plug in the power cords, the ILO starts. This takes a moment. Then you are able to power on the server. After this the server does some checks, then the cursor blinks and after a while you will see the logo. This can take some minutes ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
primoz1
Advisor

Yes when connect pwr plug, got red led on panel, that seems OK. than I hear some noise like FAN spin in PSU, and than after about one minut time, I can start server on start BTN.  and after minut or two, got that red lights for RAM slots, beep start then too.

In fact I make mistake about ram, second is not samsung , but Kingstone sorry guys :(

kingston RAM

waaronb
Respected Contributor

The long beep sound from your video and all of the DIMM error lights showing up tells me it's a memory issue.

The missing array controller battery is something else, and you'll need to get a replacement for that, but that wouldn't keep the system from booting up. A missing battery will usually get you to the array controller POST where it will tell you there's a problem and all logical drives are disabled. That's if the battery is missing entirely. If it's a dead battery, it lets you continue but it disabled the write cache.

You should check the memory module and make sure you know if it's battery or flash backed cache since they use different modules... I think flash backed uses a supercap, not a battery.

It might even be a zero memory or 256MB cache that didn't include the BBWC feature, so it never had a battery.

Now, even when everything is working, like they said above, there is a delay between powering the system up and when you get any kind of display. If you made any changes it can take longer, but usually on a G7 model I'll get some kind of video after 30-45 seconds.

HP spare 500202-061 should work on the G7... it's a 2GB DDR3, registered.

Did you say the machine is okay if you just have one of those Kingston modules installed, but it fails when one of the HP modules is in there? Or did you mean that you tested the Kingston memory in another system, but when you put them in this server it still doesn't boot?

Like I said, if you have another system you can try the memory in, I'd do that to make sure all of the memory is okay. That will let you know that the memory is fine and you can look at other things, because right now, it seems like the server is telling you it thinks the memory is bad.

Just to try things, you can set the jumper to clear the configuration, just in case there's something that got set, or it used to have 2 CPU's and had some memory in those channels, but now with only 1 CPU it's still checking the other banks during boot up.

I don't think that would cause a boot failure, but since even the error lights for the missing CPU memory channels are lighting up, that's kind of strange.

To clear the NVRAM, turn switch 6 on, power up. You may or may not get any further along... Either way, give it some time then turn the machine off and set switch #6 back to off and then power up again.
primoz1
Advisor

Hi. first of all thank you for really good explanation, I must try clear that NVRAM, but I cant figure out which pins are in the game ?

I really hope this will help me out

pins