1748254 Members
4209 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: few questions about ProLiant DL360 G7

primoz1
Advisor

Bloody Hell Im real dumb, I missed that 10 switch under PCI-express slot I look after jumpers OMG

Just set sw 6 to ON (all others is on OFF) and same thing, change RAM with that Kingstone which work perfect on other machine, make test with only one RAM or two is same.

It can this server run POST without HDD ?

Is really frustrated this problem, what ever I do allways same result, maybe is motherboard issue and is time to call HP support ?  But I dont know haw that goin, I never do that before, and Im not the original owner, I buy server from second hand.

Is any check what I can do in this moment ?

Thank you.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

The only other idea I had was to make sure the CPU is inserted properly.  If this system used to have 2 CPU's and they took one out before you got it, maybe they did something to the first CPU also and it's not properly seated in the socket.

I think you can remove the CPU without taking off the heatsink first (I don't have a DL360 G7 nearby or I'd check).  But if you have to remove the heatsink, make sure you have some extra thermal compound because when you re-attach the heatsink, you'll want to clean off any old gunk and put down a thin layer of new compound.

Besides memory errors, a CPU problem is probably the #2 reason why a system wouldn't boot at all and give a long beep error.

The system can run without hard drives installed, so don't worry about that.  It probably is a good idea to make sure you've removed everything from the system except the critical things like CPU and at least one memory module.  That's just in case some PCI card is shorting out the bus, or a bad hard drive is shorting some power or something... those aren't common, but removing everything non-essential will help you focus on everything else.

Also make sure all of the fans are inserted properly.  You can pull them out and re-insert them to make sure they all have a good connection.

If nothing else works, just look over the motherboard itself and see if anything looks weird... a capacitor bent over funny or some bent pins or anything else strange.  It helps if you've worked on these types of servers before because then you have a better idea of what a normal system looks like, but anyone who has worked with any kind of motherboards probably knows when something just doesn't look correct. :)

primoz1
Advisor

Hi.  This server never has two processors, still has that original plastic cover under second CPU socket.
I remove cooler from present one CPU just to check if was there, and put new thermal paste, then I make inspection for some bended pins on CPU socket and they look all right.

I check if some bulged capacitors or some burned other component on that motherboard, and is not, all look new and shiny like new from store, I even check voltages on capacitors close to CPU, GPU and other inportant components, and all voltages is present, from 1.50 up to 2.50 if I remembrer correct, so that must be OK.

Than I check for some overheating issue, and nothing really find, all components who must got certaint heat, like CPU, bridges-chipsets etc. has normal temp, app 25-30 deg ┬░C depend how long I left server to make me wanderful beep song LOL

Apparently, key komponents work OK. but has bad ram, and when I put GOOD ram module, than because is not reset and clear like must be (dont know how exactly)  got this whole problem.

I doubt is processor GONE, because I never see any Intel processor burned, Im not say is not possible but Im stil in doubt because that heat indicate some cooperation with system, but again you never know.

processorheat pointscpu socket

primoz1
Advisor

Uff finally i come to this stage and success make connection to iLO console.

here is pictures what I got, I split to two post because limit is 5 picture.

Take a look to picture and maybe will got more clear idea what is wrong, and what may be my next step, hp support or new memory ?

Thank you.

primoz1
Advisor

waaronb
Respected Contributor

The integrated management log (IML) you show seems to confirm that it's a problem specific to the memory configuration.

I looked up the specs on that Kingston memory you posted a picture of and it's NOT a registered DIMM (kvr1333d3s8n9/2g). It's unbuffered. The specs say you can use a UDIMM but you can't mix and match with RDIMM. I personally avoid unbuffered memory in a server so I've never tried that.

The only advice I can give to help fix this yourself is to take another close look at the memory sockets, especially that white socket in the first channel (the one you would use if you only had one CPU installed).

I've seen a brand new Proliant (I think it was a brand new G4, fresh out of the box) that had some bent pins in one of the mem sockets, and fortunately it was minor enough I could nudge it back with a small tool. But it did something very similar, where all of the memory sockets showed errors.

And check any other sockets too... if there are some shorted pins or just some gunk in there, it could cause a problem like that.

Otherwise it might be time to look for a replacement motherboard... I'd still want to test that memory in another HP server (not just another desktop machine or something that can take unbuffered or registered memory), just to be 100% sure it wasn't the memory.
primoz1
Advisor

I take just for test 4├Ч 1 gb PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 1Rx8 ECC DIMM (HP PN# 500208-562)

But wasnt work at all, than I find that memory configurator web site from HP, and I realize is no option run that server with 1 gb sticks of RAM

And I check again with my old RAM and not work.

I must contact HP service for warranty, but I dont have any paper for that server (I buy from second hand, but 100% is not stolen or some similar illegal problem)

Now I must figure out how make that, Is any problem if dont have document of ownership for that device or is not, I mean if something be wrong on that term, HP will defentive know about that, is not  100 $ thing and no one will report stolen old PC, but in this case especialy when is still under warranty and cost way more than 100$

Any suggestion please.

Thank you

primoz1
Advisor

Hi again, how I can be shure if that memory come with my server ?

thank you

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Here is the Quickspecs page for the DL360 G7.  It lists the memory guidelines in there, so you can see if the memory you have would be compatible or not.  It also lists the population guidelines like how many ranks per channel, where the highest rank module goes, and so forth.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=north_america&type=html&docid=13598

It might not list the exact memory part # you have, but HP sometimes replaces spart #'s with newer ones that are essentially the same thing.  It's more important to look at the specs of the module itself like the size, rank, whether it's registered or unbuffered, speed, voltage, etc.

primoz1
Advisor

Thank you for all informations, I contact today local HP service, and bring there that bad RAM, I think tomorow will change that RAM with new, they told me that.

On the end of this story will report back if all OK. and I think that will contibute to all HP coumunity with real good reference from real rookie person.  :)

thx again