108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ready For Rebuild

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark J. Francisco
Frequent Advisor

Ready For Rebuild

This is on a DL580G2, using the 5i controller with two logical drives. Two drives in each logical using RAID 1+0.

Port 1, Drive ID 1 is in a Ready To Rebuild status. We've replaced that drive twice, replaced the SCSI backplane, and the 5i memory module. We're still getting the same thing. Is the 5i memory module the same as the 5i controller or do we need to replace the system board to fully replace the intergrated 5i controller? I've also attached the ADU report captured about a half hour ago to this. Can someone please review and let us know how to resolve this issue? Also, our 5i is at firmware 2.66.
Thanks much, Mark
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

ADU says logical drive 1 ready for recovery, but let me ask you something

I see this HDD
SCSI Port 1, Drive ID 1 has a lot of:

Failed read recovery -> FL RD Recv
Failed write recovery -> Fl Wt Recv

are you sure that's the one you replaced?

because usually when a ready for rebuild it like stop is because one the remaining HDDs has read/write errors so when you replaced the original HDD the other HDD wont let continue the rebuild process.

- just to let you know when this happens you replaced the other HDD and the RAID needs to be rebuild, check this.
something else your HDDs firmware is very very different

check this thread for more Documentation
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1092546

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mark J. Francisco
Frequent Advisor

Yes, we're sure we replaced the correct drive. Drive 1 on port 1 is the HDD that's remaining in Ready To Rebuild status. Plus, the OS is loaded on those 2 drives, so if we would've yanked out the incorrect good drive, the server would've probably gotten hosed. We were given a three hour window to work on this server this Friday evening. Our plan of action so far is as follows....

1. Update 5i controller firmware rev.
2. Run Rompaq for SCSI Attached drives version 3.04 to update firmwares on HDD
3. If the above doesn't resolve the issue, we will replace the stemboard containing the embedded 5i controller and then make sure the firmware is up to date on the new 5i and sys brd.

Let me know if I should add anything to the above steps or if you recommend any different approaches.
Thanks, Mark
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

update also ADU is too old.

but if you can take the chance backup and rebuild I think you should try that and like I said before the only HDD that is show errors is the one you've replaced twice so far.

also don't you have another server with 5i controller?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mark J. Francisco
Frequent Advisor

After replacing the system board with the integrated 5i, we still were having the issue. We ended up replacing the hard drive that was still showing errors and did a rebuild of the server. It's been about two weeks now since we conducted that action and everything is functioning properly. Thanks for your input, Karlo.