5082 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebuild RAID5 in HP PROLIANT ML370 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution

Rebuild RAID5 in HP PROLIANT ML370 G5

Hi

Today we fixed the new 146GB SAS drive to our HP PROLIANT ML 370 G5 server with windows sbs 2003 sp2 .Our RAID5 with 3 disks ( 146 GB each) degraded last week .So we replaced the new drive hotplug in the server and in the hp system mangement homepage it showed 15 % complete  in Percent Rebuild Complete section and stuck there for a long time.

When I logout and relogin to the same page , now it is showing in Status section : Ready for rebuild and in  Percent Rebuild Complete section : Not Available

Still the logical drive with down arrow yellow mark is visible.

How to rebuild now? Shall I restart the server?

Please advise

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan
14 REPLIES 14

My issue is almost same like this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Start-Recovery-of-array-with-HP-Smartstart/td-p/5193013

When I opened the HP array configuration utility , I found that code 776 ( Ready for Recovery) Logical drive 1 (273.4 GB, RAID 5 ) is queued for rebuilding

Actually when the drive is hot plugged first time it is sensed and the rebuilding upto 15 % went but in the hp systems mangement page when we clicked the Identify drive  it got stuck in 15%  and now I restarted the server and the blue lights are flashing in the RAID ARRAY

Please advise me

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

Please help me in this regard ..........Still the status is Ready to rebuild in the home page of HP SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT PAGE

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan
ProliantWatch
Advisor

Check if there is any firmware upgrade is required  for the controller. If firmwae upgrade is reuired,  even if te rebuidl is complete it will give you false message and shows rebuilding

Regards

http://hpproliant.blogspot.com/

http://hpproliant.blogspot.com/

Hi

Thank you for your reply and there is no change in the status of the REBUILD SECTION in the hp systems management homepage, still it is Ready for Rebuild.

Unplugged the new drive and reinserted the old one and checked ; status changed to " Rebuilding".Of course the old inserted hdd throws amber led.

Inserted the new hdd and started rebuilding the statud is 4% which is atleast reasonable instead of 15% at the first time insertion within 2 minutes which is given some doubt.After few minutes timeout of the homepage, when I reached the same section, the STATUS : Ready of rebuild came back.

With same version of the Raid conroller last year when the Raid 5 degraded, the same capacity of hdd inserted and got rebuilt without any problem

Actually the Port 1 : Box1 : Bay1 is replaced; but in the homepage it is showing as yellow mark in Port1:Box1:Bay3 which is confusing me

Please advise!

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

Hi

Upgrading the firmware of the RAID CONTROLLER will rebuild the new hdd?

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan
Dr_Ing_Sosa
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading in and of itself will not rebuild the array, but it's possible it addresses an issue that is preventing the RAID from rebuilding (read the release notes). Can you access ACU from SMH? Look at the logs and see if there is anything that stands out.

Hi

thanks for your reply and if we figure out why the raid is identifying Bay3 as defective which is having no problem , since the bay1 hdd only we changed which showed red colour , almost we can  find the problem where exists and rebuilding is possible I hope ; but can we do the RAID upgrade online now while the server is running which will not affect the server and it's data?

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

Hi

I am attaching the diagnostic report of the P400 controller

Please kindly check and advise me!

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan
TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

The ADU report shows that there is a hard drive in predictive failure state and that hard drive is installed in Physical Drive 1I:1:3.  This explains the yellow mark against Port1:Box1:Bay3.

There are read errors on this hard drive and hence, this has been flagged to be replaced. On further reviewing the report no more read or write errors were found.

Please contact HP to get this hard drive replaced.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo