5987 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Rebuild RAID5 in HP PROLIANT ML370 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution

Hi Vijayasarathy!

I have mentioned in the 5th portion of this post that we have replaced the defective hdd in bay 1 but  it is reporting as in quotes below

"With same version of the Raid controller last year when the Raid 5 degraded, the same capacity of hdd inserted and got rebuilt without any problem

Actually the Port 1 : Box1 : Bay1 is replaced; but in the homepage it is showing as yellow mark in Port1:Box1:Bay3 which is confusing me"

Please advise!

So if we figure out why it is reporting the bay 3 as defective , then the problem can be found out

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan
TVVJ
HPE Pro

There is nothing incorrect in the reporting that hard drive in Port1:Box1:Bay3 needs replacement. The attached ADU report shows that the hard drive is in predictive failure state. Hence it needs to be replaced. The problem is that there are many hard read errors and this cannot be corrected. It appears that drive in bay 1 could have been defective and was replaced. Subsequently the System Management Homepage has detected the issue with hard drive in bay 3 and indicated so.

As said above, the hard drive in bay 3 is in predictive failure state, indicating that it could fail anytime. RAID level configured is RAID 5, which allows only for a single drive failure. In this scenario, if the data cannot be properly reconstructed from the remaining disks, because of hard read errors on drive in bay 3, then it may be possible that the array is not able to rebuild and is stuck in that state trying to do so. If the array does not rebuild after a reasonable time, and if a valid backup is available, then please replace the hard drive in bay 3 and restore data to get the server back online.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Hi Vijayasarathy

Sorry I am held up in some other issues.

Thank you very much for your clear and precise explanation.Now I understood the existing problem and today I have intiated the full backup and after finish of that backup, shall I do the firmware update of the RAID controller and check ?

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

Hi

Thank you for all your support and finally the server has been rebuilt from the scratch and restored the full backup

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

Hi

I came back again after 2 months but this time  different issue with the same server.

Since just today I restarted the server , I found that when it is restarting it takes little bit of time " The active directory is rebuilding indices...."

How to solve this issue because I found that this is due to the problem at

http://www.neomagick.net/zen/2008/01/24/active-directory-is-rebuilding-indices-dont-panic-it-may-be-easier-than-it-sounds/comment-page-1/#comment-21828

Actually this server is brought into production from the full backup taken earlier under the degraded condition

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan