ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752576 Members
4204 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebuild RAID5 stays on 5% forever

Andrei Vilcan - BT

Rebuild RAID5 stays on 5% forever

I have a Proliant ML350 G3 with a RAID controller 641 and a RAID5 volume consisting of 3 x 36 GB HDD's.
After one of the drives beeing reported as failed i had replaced with another one.
That one has status "OK", but the logical volume stays on "5% rebuilding" for days.
I had done the same with another HDD, but with same results: quickly rebuilding up to 5%, the ... nothing !
4 REPLIES 4
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

We have seen the same thing recently on 2 different servers. The only way to get it passed a certain point was to reboot the server. None of the usual firmware/software upgrades fixed the issue for us.
Andrei Vilcan - BT

Unfortunatelly i already did that twice. On BIOS screen it says "Resume rebuilding", but then it shows the same "Rebuilding - 5%".
Andrei Vilcan - BT

Finally solved !

My approach : Based on the fact that the new HDD was model BD03688272, and the 3 old ones (as the one gone bad) were BD03685A24, and that they have a mix of firmware (HPB4&HPB6) i used Firmware Maintenance CD 7.60 to check/upgrade firmwares on my system. Amazingly (or not...) it updated the firmware on the 2 older HDD's and after that the rebuild process went OK.
Andrei Vilcan - BT

Already posted the solutinon in previous post.