108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rebuild failed Comapq DL380 G3 system drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Penrose

Rebuild failed Comapq DL380 G3 system drive

Hi,

We have a CPQ DL380 G3 server running NT4 that has come up lame with a failed RAID 1 system drive. Since it's been quite some time since I've addressed hardware issues on this model (~ 4 years) I have some questions for clarity of process:

The failed drive is an 18.2 GB ULTRA 320 SCSI RAID 1 mirrored in slot 0 with a 36 GB spare (same specs) configured in slot 4. In order to rebuild the failed 18.2 can I remove it then insert a working spare 36.4 into slot 0 and allow the ACU to rebuild the drive from slot 1?

I seem to remember that it wasn't that easy. Do I need to shut down then put the working RAID 1 system drive into 0 then put the replacement into slot 1 and allow the rebuild that way?

Honestly, it's been so long that I can't remember the -safe- process.

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
-JP
4 REPLIES 4
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Rebuild failed Comapq DL380 G3 system drive

Hi,

if you use a smart array controller(the onboard 5i e.g.), actually, you only need to take the failed HDD out and plug the new one in the same slot whe the failed was.
The rebuild will start automatically.
If I understood right, you have 2 HDDs in slot 0 and 4 in RAID 1.
Then you have to use the same slot for sure.
The best thing is to update both the controller and HDD firmwares with FW CD :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-6e09964448994337ad23016691

Regards,
Pac
John Penrose

Hi,

Normally the system drives are in slot 0 and 1 in a RAID 1 and the database is in 2 3 4 with slot 5 (stated the wrong slot above) being a spare for either array.

When slot 0 failed the system failed over to the hot spare in 5. So, will the 5i rebuild the replacement slot 0 drive when I put in a new one then make its self available again as a spare? Does it build from slot 1 or 5?

Thanks for the link and the help.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi John,

when you put the new HDD in, there will be rebuild from slot 5 to slot 0(spare to new) and the HDD in slot 5 will become spare again.
Rebuild from 1 to 5 happened when the disk in slot 0 failed.
So after the data is written to the drive in slot 0 the mirror (slot 0 and 1) will be returned and the drive in slot 5 will be declared as spare again.

Pac
John Penrose

Thanks pac.

-J