1753637 Members
5874 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebuild failed mirror drive on DL360

Bill Clark_12
Occasional Contributor

Rebuild failed mirror drive on DL360

Running NW 5.1, single volume on a mirrored DL360. For some odd reason, the single volume became corrupted on Disk0 but not on Disk1, apparently it is NOT a hardware failure. I pulled Disk0 and the system is running fine. My question is this: How do I reinstall Disk0 but wipe it clean then rebuild from Disk1? TIA

Bill
4 REPLIES 4
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

take that drive to other box with drives in it and run with erase utility, than add back to server
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

for safe reason you can add drive at post when recovery mode enabled
Bill Clark_12
Occasional Contributor

>take that drive to other box with drives in >it and run with erase utility, than add >back to server
>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/serv>er/us/download/17918.html
>
>for safe reason you can add drive at post >when recovery mode enabled

Tried the above but couldn't gain access through the erase utility boot disk to the drives. Could I do the following: Power down the server, take the current good drive (Disk1) and place it in slot0 and then place the bad drive (Disk0) into slot1, reboot and run the Array configuration utility to wipe Disk0 and then reboot and let it rebuild that way?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

You won't get access to Partition with erase utility, it only wipe ACU Configuration and portions access - more automated Process, when you boot with Floppy. Erase more based on the active Configuration.
You can Insert Suspected Drive to spare server and run erase utility over it (an option to create/simulate Array with smart Start or F8 and than erase it).
Normally you should boot and operate from good known drive, after erase on the second you can add it for Recovery
Angella

The erase utility will not allow you to view your drive config or make changes. It just erases all the data. You should make sure to remove all other drives from the server first. Otherwise they will be erased as well.

The erase util will also clear cmos, clear nvram off the controller, etc.
Newer versions of the erase util allow you to just run the erase on the drives by checking that option, but I beleive older versions will just clear everything without giving you the option of de-selecting certain components ?

Then boot up with the good drive, and insert the newly erased drive. It will detect it as a brand new drive and start rebuilding.

And yes, if you would like you can move the good drive over to the other slot, because this server has drive roaming. But this should not be necessary.

Just swapping the drives around will not make any difference. The config is stored on the drives scratch pads/ris table. It is not determined by it's position in the server. If you run the array config util, you do not have the option of only wiping out id1. Just the option of deleting the array or ld, which would wipe out both drives. Erase is probably the easiest way to go.

Hope this helps :)