ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752679 Members
5628 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebuild on 641 controller

Toivo Sari

Rebuild on 641 controller

Once a drive is replaced, how long does it take before the rebuild/recover starts. My priority is set to low. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Toivo:

It reallt depends upon how much data you currently have in the array. I have seen a rebuild take 10 minutes. I have also seen a rebuild take a few hours.

If it is done at a time where there is relatively no host activity, then it should not take hours.

What size are the drives?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Toivo Sari

18.2GB on a raid 1+0. There is only about 7 GB on the drive. I am not as concerned about the rebuild time as I am when will it start rebuilding. The logs indicate it is ready for rebuild but the actual rebuild has not started.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

OH... you replaced the drive already? and it is just sitting there?

Not sure if you can manually kick it off as I have never had to do that. I would think you could via ACU.

If you set the priority to normal, it might kick off, or high.. then you can set it back to low if you want... but with 7GB..I would expect it to finish within 10 minutes or so, maybe even 15 or 20.. but not much more that that.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Toivo Sari

I'll try kicking it off manually. I cannot find an option to do that, I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

If process had not started automatically, had you tried to restart server?
Also check that, it might help, not mandatory for your case, however just to get idea if some updates are missing
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX030314_CW01

Trigger rebuild, use ACU change rebuild Priority save and Exit, after reopen ACU and change back - seen on the practice

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If that controller says it's waiting for a rebuild, then there may be something else wrong. When you put the replacement in it should start the rebuild almost immediately (within maybe 1 or 2 minutes, if not less). If it looks like it did start the rebuild after it was initially replaced, but seemed to stop, then there is likely something else wrong causing this. Another drive with a problem, but not yet failed by the controller, can cause this kind of problem.

I'd recommend running the ADU on this server.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Toivo Sari

OK, my mistake. I was a rev behind on the array controller software. Once the new was installed, it took about 10 minutes to build...and I am one to preach appropriately placed updates. Thanks to all for the help.