cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding (expanding) the ml370 drive array

John Bianco
Occasional Contributor

Rebuilding (expanding) the ml370 drive array

What is the best way to rebuild the Server after replacing the original raid 5 disks with higher capacity drives? At present I have 4 36gb disks in a disk array cage at raid level 5. I purchased 4 300gb drives to replace them.What is the best way to rebuild or restore the system (MS Server 2003) after the new drives are inserted,then set up for raid 5.? Any ideas? Running on a ML370 G3.Only one disk drive array cage w/6 slots. 4 being used.
6 REPLIES
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Re: Rebuilding (expanding) the ml370 drive array

Use fast tape device (LTO3) to backup entire system (with System State).
All resolution with hdd replacing and rebuildig are slower (but you can do that online). If you have any application\tool to create your system image, it's save your time.

regards,
Andrzej Kowalik
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

John,
as addition to Andrzej reply:
I also suggest backup/replace drives/restore with some type of image backup software (for example Symantec GHOST). I think it is the most safe and quick way.
Make sure you have last server firmware and
last Proliant support pack (especially Array configuration utility - old ACU versions don't support array greater than 500 Gb and you need 900 Gb RAID-5 array))
Scott Fullerton
Occasional Visitor

We recently replaced 4-36GB with 4-72GB on RAID5 (Exchnage Server 2003). We pulled the 36GB drives one at a time, let the system rebuild the new 72GB. When the last drive was done, we expanded the array with ACLU and created a new partition in W2K3.
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

I agree with Scott, there is no reason to do a wipe/load here. We use the swap out method on a very regular basis with no ill effects. The only issue is around expanding the system volume. If you have it partitioned out you should be good to go.

if you are going to wipe/load I would leave 2 of the 36GB drives in place and install your OS on them. Then use the 4 - 300GB drives for a separate data partition.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Hi, John

If the server is on production and cannot be taked down while you do this, then replacing the drives one by one is the best way to do it.

If your Controler is a dual channel, then you can load the OS in a raid 1 with the two 36.4GB drives on channel one and then leave the extended and expanded raid 5 on the channel two.*

*This will only work if you already have yor system configured using two partitions, if not then you'll have to reinstall everything or reconfigure the system to move every storage operation from the boot partition to the new partition, but I don't know if it is possible.

If your system is not setup to take this configuration without having to re install, then just replace drives as you did last time.

Remeber:

If you mix different drives speeds on the same channel and the controller can handle it, then all drives will run at the lowest drive's speed.

If you mix different drives sizes on the same array, then the controller will use the lowest drive's size of each drive to make the array.

chongkan
Trusted Contributor

I'm pretty sure that this link will help you with the ACU operations.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00030874&prodTypeId=1
5351&prodSeriesId=254910

Regards.