ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752782 Members
5994 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Received a consumer quality HDD instead of an enterprise quality HDD for my server

Mclairs
Occasional Visitor

Received a consumer quality HDD instead of an enterprise quality HDD for my server

Hi guys,

Not too sure anyone face the same "problem" like i do. As i'm currently using an ML110 G6 server purchased with 2 x 250gb WD RE3 enterprise storage sata drive. Sadly, one fine day one of the drive decided to failed on me.

Called the HP hotline, CSO was very nice, proceeded on my request to replace the HDD without any questions asked.

The next day. I received the HDD from the logistic side and found out that the HDD i received wasn't a WD RE3 at all. Infact its a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB SATA2 drive.

Made a complaint to the CSO and they claim that the HDD i received should work with the existing array that i have. Asking me if there is any supporting documents to claim that the server would not work with the existing array.

I'm trying to put across to them. WD RE3 is an enterprise quality drive which has a higher MTBF than the one that i have and i have yet to receive any reply from them.

I got back home, i dig out my HP Elite 8100 hdd which is also a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drive and it stated a different part no. See below (Left is the new received drive, right is the drive that is inside my HP Elite 8100)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p94/mclairs/L1050614_zps41afe0e9.jpg

the spec sheet for the both drive.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701281.pdf (WD RE3)

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/en-GB/datasheet/disc/barracuda-7200-12-ds1668-6-1101gb.pdf (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12)

So is HP shortchanging its customers on the quality? We are talking about servers here which serving the entire company and not a desktop that serve a single end user here.

I hope all the engineers and administrators give a good check on the drives that they received should any of the HDD fails.

6 REPLIES 6
SyntaXT
Advisor

Re: Received a consumer quality HDD instead of an enterprise quality HDD for my server

It's off topic but this is what I received once, brand new in sealed bag.

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Hi,

As long as the SP# is the same on the replacement as the original, the specs are the same. HP buys drives from all manufacturers. As long as they meet HP specs (IOPS, MTBF, geometry, etc) you (the customer) is getting exactly the same disk specs.

HP loads their own F/W on the disks used in their products. Part numbers may and will change but SP#'s  will be the same for identical disks.

If HP didn't have in stock, the SP# requested, they will ship a compatable replacement part. Disks take on the server warranty or contract coverage.

Regards,

Louis

Mclairs
Occasional Visitor

Hi Louis,

I totally understand that. But im paying the sata drives at a higher price due to the enterprise grade.

I guess that it might not bother you, cause you are not in my shoes.

If you think agree with HP that 7200.12 is the same quality as WD RE3. Read the spec sheet i post, rather than blabbering the same answer as quoted by the logistics.
Mclairs
Occasional Visitor

Anyway the logistics that side has agreed that i have received a consumer grade quality drive and will re arrange another enterprise grade hdd for exchange.

Louis, i hope you understand the importance of quality of parts. Its like you are paying a Lexus car and you got a Toyota car instead.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Just curious, what was the part number, or spare part number on the original drive?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
LouisH
Valued Contributor

I wasn't debating the quality of parts. I was just pointing out that if the Spares Number was checked against the original disk, it could have saved you alot of trouble.  The SP number is what HP services uses to order the CORRECT part as a replacement.  Mistakes happen when parts are ordered and sent directly to the customer/end user. Always check to SP#.

Regards,

Louis