msanjay196
Frequent Advisor

Recommended server for ISA 2006

Hi,

We are planning to buy ISA Server Standard 2006 running on windows 2003
standard.

I am currently looking for an HP Proliant. I understand that the DL 100
series does not support Smart Start CD

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/psp/questionsan...

Does that make a difference? Has anybody used the DL 1xx series?
5 REPLIES 5
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: Recommended server for ISA 2006

well....it depends

what is it for, proxy? firewall? cache? vpn? vpn site to site? the entire bundle? how many users?

msanjay196
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

we will use the server for the following:

1) site to site vpn
2) firewall
3) proxy
4) "normal" vpn

for over 50 users.

thanks in advance
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Hi,

since is ISA standard, it means that it will be the only point of failure so you need redundancy on the server to avoid downtime. you also you need scalability
since web applications get heavier every day, so cache, web prox, web pusbling will not overload the server, it also depends of the use of VPNs, firewall rules and publishing rules (it depends of how strict you will be with the use of internet. So for scalability I recommend you a server with 2 processor sockets, you can buy one dua-core processor (or quad) and if in the future the server has a bottleneck you just buy and add a processor to the other socket. same theory with the memory, buy like 4Gb (more if you wnat the cache to act lightning fast) and if you have a bottleneck, just add more dimms, easy stuff.
For the NICs, you need minimum a dual nic (3 nics if you need to have a DMZ) and again, for scalability to avoid bottlenecks you need to have the chance to add more nics, so a couple of PCI slots will be very recommended, this way you just add a PCI NIC and do some port teaming.
For the storage subsystem, it will be better if you can do the logging in a external SQL server but however, you dont need much space, just speed, and SAS hdds will be great.

so, since ISA is a critical role, I like to recommend you a 300 series instead of a 100 series, 100 series are entry level servers.

the cheaper option will be a dl360 g5, other two more expensive options will be a dl380 g5 or a dl385 g5.

you can use this link to help you figure out which server can be ok for your needs
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/sbso/buyguides/tsg_product_select.cgi

for a second opinion, just fill up this form a have a sales guy call you
http://www.hp.com/large/contact/enterprise/index.html?key=1-57BS3&mcc=DRVL

best regards,
msanjay196
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your input.

Just to touch on something ... I understand that the DL 100
series does not support Smart Start CD?

How important is that?

Thanks
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

no they dont, sscd is great for easy deployments, diagnostic, configuration and it has a bundle of drivers and software very helful to manage the servers