New Discussion

Re: Recover data from HHDs on faulty HPE Proliant DL360 G9

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matei85
Occasional Visitor

Recover data from HHDs on faulty HPE Proliant DL360 G9

Hi,

Our HPE Proliant DL360 G9 was destroyed by water(worst nightmare) but the HDDs survived. Array controller was also destroyed. VMware was installed on them and alond with it a few VMs holding DCs, BKP servers, Call manager and all the good stuff.

Now, if I get the HDD installed on another new DL360 G9 or G10 or DL380 G10, is there any chance to recover the arrays structure without erasing the drives and manage to get the data out of them?

Cheers!

Matei

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Matei85 wrote:

Hi,

Our HPE Proliant DL360 G9 was destroyed by water(worst nightmare) but the HDDs survived. Array controller was also destroyed. VMware was installed on them and alond with it a few VMs holding DCs, BKP servers, Call manager and all the good stuff.

Now, if I get the HDD installed on another new DL360 G9 or G10 or DL380 G10, is there any chance to recover the arrays structure without erasing the drives and manage to get the data out of them?

Cheers!

Matei

If the drives are not damaged, moving them to another system should be fine.  The array information is stored on every drive that is in the array.  Try to put them in the same bays they were in on the old system.  The only thing you need to make sure of, is that the firmware on the array controller in the replacement system needs to be the same version or newer

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Matei85
Occasional Visitor

I have tried to move them to a brand new DL380 G10(firmware should be newer as I never updated the firmware on the old DL360 G9) in te same bay order. It won't show any array and only unassigned HDDs. If I create a new RAID 5 array as before would it see the logical drive I had or will have to erase all the HDDs? This I'm not sure about...

Thanks!

Matei

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

@Matei85 wrote:

I have tried to move them to a brand new DL380 G10(firmware should be newer as I never updated the firmware on the old DL360 G9) in te same bay order. It won't show any array and only unassigned HDDs. If I create a new RAID 5 array as before would it see the logical drive I had or will have to erase all the HDDs? This I'm not sure about...

Thanks!

Matei

It should see the existing arrays. Creating new arrays will destroy any existing data

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!