5963 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Recover data from Raid 5 to different server

menzie1978
Occasional Visitor

Recover data from Raid 5 to different server

Hi,

We have a dead server (motherboard might be dead) ML350 G6 with Smart Raid controlles P410i with Raid 5 configured.

My question is how can I recover the data from the hard disks, since the controller is PCI, can I connect the whole array with controller to a desktop to recover the data?

We also have ML350G3 and DL380G7 servers, is there any way we can utilise those to get the data back?

Please let me know if further information is required.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Recover data from Raid 5 to different server

menzie1978 wrote:

Hi,

We have a dead server (motherboard might be dead) ML350 G6 with Smart Raid controlles P410i with Raid 5 configured.

My question is how can I recover the data from the hard disks, since the controller is PCI, can I connect the whole array with controller to a desktop to recover the data?

We also have ML350G3 and DL380G7 servers, is there any way we can utilise those to get the data back?

Please let me know if further information is required.

The P410i controller is embedded in the system board. The RAID information is stored on each disk in the array, so the drives can be moved to another system with a Smart Array controller. The DL380 G7 has the same model RAID controller.  Both the ML350 G6 and the DL380 G7 can be either SFF (2.5") or LFF (3.5"). As long as they both are the same form factor, you can move the disks from the G6 to the G7 server to access the data. The G3 system uses a different type of drive carrier so the disks wouldn't plug in and being an older Smart Array it may not recognise the data.

The controller in the G7 server needs to be at the same or newer firmware revision as the controller in the G6 for proper operation

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
menzie1978
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for the detailed information. The 380 G7 has SFF disks and 350 G6 has LFF SCSI disks. 

1> Can I get the motherboard replaced (would it have the same P410i builtin?) and use the hard disks on the new server? Would I be able to recover the data this way?

2> Can I add the LFF disk cage from 350G6 and put it on 380 G7?

3> Can there be any chance of losing the data if I connect the disks to a different server with same/updated firmware as 350 G6?

Thanks again for your help

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@menzie1978 wrote:

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for the detailed information. The 380 G7 has SFF disks and 350 G6 has LFF SCSI disks. 

1> Can I get the motherboard replaced (would it have the same P410i builtin?) and use the hard disks on the new server? Would I be able to recover the data this way?

A replacement system board would have the same P410i

2> Can I add the LFF disk cage from 350G6 and put it on 380 G7?

I don't think this is possible.

3> Can there be any chance of losing the data if I connect the disks to a different server with same/updated firmware as 350 G6?

If you move the drives to another server with a Smart Array controller with same/newer firmware there shouldn't be any data loss. The RAID information is stored on each drive in the array.

Thanks again for your help

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!