Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover data from SAS disk drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
DNash
Occasional Contributor

Recover data from SAS disk drive

New customer has a fried Prolient (Ml350 G5) with 2 DF072A9844 SAS disks. We want to remove the disks and recover as much data as we can. Can I connect one of the drives to an inexpensive SAS controller (Promise, HighPoint or such) just to access the data only and copy to another drive?

3 REPLIES
Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Recover data from SAS disk drive

Yes if the drives were stand-alone or a part of RAID1 set.

Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
DNash
Occasional Contributor

Yes that worked!  Thank You!

I bought an inexpensive Highpoint 2642 SA/SATA controller and used the enclosed cables to connect both drives to a Windows 7 machine. The drives must have been RAID 1 since data looked the same on each drive. I was able to copy all over to a USB drive for recovery on their new server.

Highlighted
harmanjeet
Occasional Visitor

my SA drives are RAID1 but have HP unix installation can i recover that too?.