1753391 Members
7158 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recover data from failed HP DL380 G7 server

shiassid
Occasional Collector

Recover data from failed HP DL380 G7 server

One of our HP DL380 G7 servers with 3 HDD configured as RAID5 failed this morning and the issue seems to be with the motherboard and the server does not boot up anymore as it powers off within 10 seconds of powering it On. Unfortunately this was the only Domain ControllerIs I had and did not have a System Level backup. Is there a way I can recover this server to get my AD (Active Directory) back?

4 REPLIES 4
Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

Hello,

I believe the Smart Array controller on your server would be HPE Smart Array P410i ( which is integrated on Systemboard ).
So even though you suspect issue is with Systemboard but I hope the 3 X HDD configured in RAID 5 are not having any amber led.
As far as all 3 x HDD are green and healthy your data should remain intact irrespective of Systemboard Failure/replacement.

You can check the Systems insight display LED combinations which will help in isolating the faulty component:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02215382

Keep the "User Guide" handy:
https://galtsystems.com/sites/default/files/server-model/DL380G7%20User%20Manual.pdf

I believe HPE ProLiant DL380 G7 "Server Maintenance and Service Guide" will also help while isolating the faulty component.
https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1018996072.pdf

If the server continues to experience a power-up or shut-down failure, it can be a Faulty power supply backplane.

Certain ProLiant DL380 G7 servers in certain power supply configurations may suddenly and unexpectedly shut down during Power-On Self-Test (POST) or run-time of the server.
This shutdown may coincide with hardware additions to the server, or potentially during CPU utilization increases or other configuration changes that increase the load on the power supply.

The issue could potentially occur in either of the following scenarios:

If a ProLiant DL380 G7 server is configured with a single 460W or 750W power supply, the server shuts down without warning and the Systems Insight Display (SID) indicates a failed power supply along with a flashing health LED.

IMPORTANT: Any server with 1200W power supplies may potentially be impacted by this issue.

If a ProLiant DL380 G7 server has a redundant power supply configuration, if one power supply fails, the server will shut down instead of remaining powered on as expected. The System Insight Display (SID) will indicate that both power supplies are failed and the health LED will flash.

Try the following steps:-
Shutdown the server
Drain the flea power by disconnecting any power input, all the external cables (including Power and Network), external devices and pressing and holding down the power button for 10 seconds.
Change power source & check for reported issue (if connected to UPS then connect to direct power source & vice versa)
Check the fans and be sure the air flows over the drive.
Reseat the fans. Also reseat any PCI cards if connected.
Clear NVRAM

The following steps may be performed to clear NVRAM using the system maintenance switch on the system board:
a. Extend the server from the rack, remove the access panel, and locate the system maintenance switch (refer to item 1 in figure 1 below).
b. Move switch S6 from default 'Off' position to 'On', install the access panel and connect the power cable to the walljack and power it on.
c. When a message indicates that a maintenance switch has been turned on and the unit has been reset, power it off, remove the power cable from the walljack. Remove it from the rack, remove the access panel and reverse switch S6 to 'Off' and then power the server back again.

Connect power cables again and see if the server behaves normal.
If still same issue reduce the server to minimum configuration.
Remove all external PCI cards attached to server.
Test the server with bare minimum components.
If the server works fine with bare minimum, then keep adding other parts till you identify the faulty part and replace it.
If the issue seen with bare minimum components, then remove all old systemboard and replace it with new one(in single go)

Hope this will help.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

shiassid
Occasional Collector

Thanks, but what I like to know is the procedure to follow to use the 3 HDDs on this server (RAID 5) to get the data from it, either boot it up on another server, or create a VM out of it safely. If I simply remove these 3 HDD and use it on another server, I am afraid it will destroy the RAID and subsequently the data in it. So what is the exact process to follow?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you have a similar server model?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

You can move drives to other ID positions on the same array controller.
You can also move a complete array from one controller to another, even if the controllers are on different servers.

Before moving drives, you must meet the following conditions:

-If moving the drives to a different server, be sure the new server has enough empty bays toaccommodate all the drives simultaneously.
-The array does not have failed or missing drives.
-No spare drive in the array is acting as a replacement for a failed drive.
-The controller is not performing capacity expansion, capacity extension, or RAID or strip sizemigration.
-The controller is using the latest firmware version.
-The server is powered down.

Before you move an array to another controller, you must meet the following conditions:

CAUTION: If the number of physical or logical drives exceeds the limit for the controllermodel and firmware version, then the controller may recognize an unpredictable subset of thedrives, possibly resulting in failed arrays and data loss.

-If the other controller is connected already to one or more arrays of configured logical drives, the total number of logical drives on the controller after the drives have been moved must not exceed thenumber of logical drives that the controller supports. This number depends on the controller modeland on the controller firmware version.
-The total number of physical drives on the other controller after the drives have been moved must not exceed the maximum number of supported physical drives for that controller model and firmware version.
-All drives in the array must be moved at the same time.

When all the conditions have been met, move the drives:

1.Back up all data before removing any drives or changing configuration. This step is required if youare moving data-containing drives from a controller that does not have a cache module.
2.Power down the system.
3.Move the drives.
4.Power up the system.
5.Observe the POST messages:

If a 1785 POST message appears, the drive array did not configure properly. Continue with step6.
If a 1724 or 1727 POST message appears, drive positions were changed successfully and theconfiguration was updated. Continue with step 7.

6.If the array did not configure properly, do the following:

Power down the system immediately to prevent data loss.
Return the drives to their original locations.
Restore the data from backup, if necessary.

7.Verify the new drive configuration by running HPE ACU.

Refer:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00020470en_us

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo