ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753922 Members
7886 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recover from mirrored drive ( Raid 1 )

Dragonfly_1

Recover from mirrored drive ( Raid 1 )

hello, the idea was, to mirror the drive c from the server with an raid 1. ( dl380G4 ) the drives d was an raid 5 with 4 drives. every last friday in the month we are change the drive 0 from the raid1 with the drive in the save. so we think we have a recovery drive for the server crash.
but yesterday, we lost the whole server, and want to recover the server from the mirrored drive, that was in the save.

but, we inserted the drive into the new server, and filled up the ather places with the same type of drives ( 5 pices of drives with equal capacity, all the drives cleared in another server , so that there is no raid on it ) the new server boots, the drive1 from raid 1 starts, but did not to start to mirror again. the drive D from the raid 5 was created ( o.k. no data in it, but that comes from the backupsoftware ) .

how could i bring the server to strart to mirror drive 1 ( RAid 1 ) again, i have inserted a lot of drives, but the server didnt start to mirror the drives.

4 REPLIES 4
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Check with the array configuration utility if you can manually start the rebuild. It should autostart but that option can have been disabled.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

maybe the controller recognized the raid-volume configuration but not the autorebuild setting (controller setting)?
start the ACU and check, or do manually rebuild.
Dragonfly_1

good morning ;-)
after that night, i am ready to celebrate hp service test scenarios. o.k. lets talk about the riddle of the last night.

source server DL380G4, Raid controller 6i, Array A : Raid1 ( 2 X 72 GB ) Array B: Raid5 ( 4 X 72 GB)

target server DL380G4, Raid Conreoller 6402 Array A : Raid1 , Array B: Raid5.

BUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO SERVERS

source server DRIVE CAGE SIMPLEX

target server DRIVE CAGE DUPLEX

now, the source raid1 was setting on scsi port2, remember here is simplex, all the drives are on 1 port, the port 1.

But on the target server, with duplex, the port 1 has id 0 and 1 , and the port 2 has the ids 2,3,4,5.

so the mirrored drive from the source server wants to rebuild on channel with port1 and id 1. but from the configuration on that target server the 6402 controller was configured to use the two channels, and the port with the id s 0 and 1 was configured on port 2,

now, i have changed the cables from the channels, and after that, i could start to mirror that drive from the source server in the target server, because the port are correct !

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

"now, i have changed the cables from the channels, and after that, i could start to mirror that drive from the source server in the target server, because the port are correct !"

Yes it is very importent, that you maintain the position, when you want to move a part of a mirror, and have it to rebuild a new disk.

You can put the "source drive" in another channel/ID
But the "target" must be in the original channel/ID.

simplex/duplex doesn't matter.

When you have finished the rebuild, you can change the channel, if you want.
But, remember if you have to go the other way, from the 6400 to DL360 6i, you can't change the channel on 360.

So have knowledge on you hardware.

Accept or Kudo