cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Recovery Server

What do I need to create a Standby Recovery Server? I need to create a recovery option for a 2x400Mhz 512mb server. Does my hardware need to be identical for the recovery box? Also I have heard of the online recovery option. How does this work? Is it a better option? Any comments would be most welcome, as a RAID controller failure this week has left me with serious egg on my face! Thanks in advance, Stevoon.
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Recovery Server

For Standby RS, the second server needs to be more or less the same - all your storage is in an external disk box with an RSO switch in it, connected to both servers at the same time. The secondary server sits at POST, monitoring a hearbeat pulse across a serial cable. When the primary dies, the secondary will boot up and assume its role - the OS doesn't know anything about the switch - it sees a server dying, and then booting up again, so anything that would mean a change of configuration to the OS (PCI cards in different slots, etc) would stop it from working properly.
Online recovery will only be an option for you if you're running NT - its not available for any other OS. For online, you can have different hardware configs, but its NOT a transparent failover - anyone using the primary server when it dies will need to log on to a new server, and their shares will need remapped too.