4980 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux @ML310 G5

Lorentz
Occasional Advisor

Red Hat Enterprise Linux @ML310 G5

During RHEL 4 Setup the following error occurs:

"Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually slect your driver or use a driver disc?"

I tried to use this driver floppys: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3580656&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2025#78220

But Setup says, that the correct drivers for the device aren't on that floppy.

Can anyone help me or give me the correct driver floppy image?

Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Lorentz
Occasional Advisor

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Lorentz
Occasional Advisor

also don't work :-/
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

what REEL 4 update? are you using?
something else I recommended you this version

Version: 1.4.17015-1 but also you tried this as well 1.4.17013?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&swItem=MTX-4b668ecab8124cdaaf0d38b840&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=2025&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

also what's the procedure you are following?
bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Lorentz
Occasional Advisor

I use RHEL 4.0 ... no update.

Procedure: Download the Image --> write it with rawritewin on a floppy --> boot RHEL installation from CD --> type in "linux dd" (for driver disk)

--> Setup asks "Do you have a driver disk" --> Yes --> put the driver disk into the flopyy drive --> ok --> reading driver disk ...

--> Do you wish to load any more driver disks? --> No

--> then i choose language, keyboard layout and installation medium (cd)

--> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually slect your driver or use a driver disc?"

--> i press "Use a driver disk"
--> Reading driver disk ...

--> "No devices of the appropriate type where found on the driver disk. Would you manuelly select your driver, continue anyway or load another driver disk?"

I also tried the last you have linked, but also don't work :-(
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well according to Redhat website at least update 5 is needed but HP drivers are since Redhat without update to U5

https://hardware.redhat.com/show.cgi?id=369821

For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86), use 'aarahci.rhel4.i686.rpm' file.
For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86) Update 2, use 'aarahci.rhel4qu2.i686.rpm' file.
For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86) Update 3, use 'aarahci.rhel4qu3.i686.rpm' file.
For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86) Update 4, use 'aarahci.rhel4qu4.i686.rpm' file.
For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86) Update 5, use 'aarahci.rhel4qu5.i686.rpm' file.

------------
well and If you tried disabling Embedded SATA in BIOS and install RH without SATA support
after RH is installed you manually install the driver reboot and enable SATA and you configure your RAID level and go to your OS

To install the driver type:
# rpm -ivh aarahci-{version}-(release).{distro}.{processor architecture}.rpm

Setup is now complete. Please REBOOT your computer NOW!!

this procedure is use like this
you install the OS in 1 HDD with no SATA enable, after all is completed

you turn off your server
insert the other HDD to create a RAID 1

go to you BIOS enable SATA

F8 option will be available during post
you enter to your array configuration

-> go to "Configure a drive " as usual to insert the new HDD added

-> go to "Create an array" you create your RAID 1 but when the utility ask you which method to rebuild the RAID 1 you have to use "Build" why

---Creating a RAID 1 array when you want to preserve data on an existing drive. If you select this option, you are asked to designate the source drive. The contents of the source drive are preserved and any data on the new drive is lost.

I will add the HP Embedded SATA manual
www.jraf.ru/books/embedded_sata_raid_manual.pdf

any question let me know

------------------something like this
Suggestions for Setup:
- JBOD to RAID1
What does that mean:

1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, install the sata driver
3. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
4. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

procedure used for windows too

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Lorentz
Occasional Advisor

I tried to disable embedded SATA Raid in the BIOS, but the RHEL Setup still says:

"Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually slect your driver or use a driver disc?"

at the same point