5833 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RedHat 3 ES installation failure on DL360 & DL380 G4's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Roberts_3

RedHat 3 ES installation failure on DL360 & DL380 G4's

I am attempting to install RedHat Enterprise 3 ES on three brand new DL servers. These consist of two DL380 G4's and one DL360 G4, each with HP Smart Array 6i controllers and two 72GB drives configured in a RAID 1 array.

Each of these machines generates a "No hard drives have been found" error during RH installation. I have attempted installation using a driver disk with the latest Hp drivers for the 6i controller, but receive an error stating that no relevant device drivers are found on the disk.

The drives are recognized from DOS and during Windows 2003 Server installations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
HGN
Honored Contributor

Re: RedHat 3 ES installation failure on DL360 & DL380 G4's

Hi

This issue has been discussed in this forum before, the reason the OS cannot see the harddrive is becuase thereis no in-built driver for the smart array on the OS cd.
You need to download the Smart array driver ,you can check here
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10770.html
the same place has the driver floppy creating instructions.
Once the floppy is created you need to provide the driver during the start of the install, that would prompt to insert the driver on the floppy drive,once it reads that then the disks will start to show up.
IMPORTANT:The Array needs to be created before the OS install is started.
Only use the Kernel release version mentioned in the smart array driver page since it would have been tested only with that.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

HGN
Peter Roberts_3

Thanks for your reply...

The array has been created. I did download the latest smart array drivers, used the linux dd install option to read the drivers off the floppy, but received the error that "no appropriate drivers have been found" on the disk.

HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

If you are still getting that error,then if you refer to the HP site they would recommended to use the iso image from a particular release which would only work. I have had this issue before and that is the only fix .

Rgds

HGN

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Peter,

You need to use either Update 3 or Update 4 of RHEL 3.

Earlier versions, including the base release, and Update 1 - I'm not sure about Update 2 - don't include the correct driver for the 6i controller.

As far as I'm aware, if you buy RedHat from HP, they still ship Update 1, which you can't use - so start downloading those ISOs !!

Cheers,

Rob

Peter Roberts_3

Thanks - Update 4 works without a hitch.