Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RedHat ES 3 on Proliant DL380 G3 - Install problem

Will Chatham
Occasional Visitor

RedHat ES 3 on Proliant DL380 G3 - Install problem

History:
-Was running RHEL 2.1, decided to do a new installation of RHEL 3 (not an upgrade).
-Started installation using bootdisk floppy (DL380 wouldn't boot from CD for some reason)
-After Disc 1 was done, it asked for Disc 2. Inserted Disc 2, kept getting "Unable to mount cd-rom" message. Tried burning new copy of disc 2, same problem.

-So I restarted the installation process.
-Now, when I boot from floppy and try starting the install, it defaults to the text-based installer and won't detect the cdrom. It asks me for a driver.

I tried various install options at the boot: prompt such as resolution= and hdX=cdrom, but nothing works.

Any insight or ideas on getting to the GUI installer would be much appreciated, as this seems to be the only way I can get the cdrom detected.
4 REPLIES
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Re: RedHat ES 3 on Proliant DL380 G3 - Install problem

I would start by doing a system erase. This will reset all the default BIOS settings, and should also enable CDROM root.

Press F9 when prompted during the boot process. Select advaced settings, then select erase nvram and disks ( or something similar).

Let me know if this helps.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Will Chatham
Occasional Visitor

That was a good idea, but it didn't seem to change anything.

What I am experiencing upon starting the installation is that it asks me for language and keyboard preferences, then asks me if I would like to install from cdrom, hard disk, ftp, http, etc. When I choose CD ROM, that's when it says the driver is not found.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your time.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

it looks like there's something wrong with your
CDs.

A dl380 g3 should be able to boot from redhat's cd (I did it recently). Try burning with a different software ?
Will Chatham
Occasional Visitor

I did run 'check media' when the installation started, so I know the CD's are OK. However, I think I have ruled out the problem being with the server.

Just for grins, I booted from the HP SmartStart cd. It gave me warnings about the selected OS (Linux) not being supported. So I backed out and rebooted.

Funny thing is, this time, I was able to boot from the Linux cd and start the installation. The SmartStart cd changed something - I don't know what - even though I did nothing once it loaded.

However, I later ran into another problem with installation disk 2 not mounting, but I have a feeling this is a RedHat issue, and belongs on another board.

Thanks for your help, everyone.