108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Redirect console to COM port

SOLVED
Go to solution
vladimir_12
Advisor

Redirect console to COM port

May any Proliant servers to redirect own console to COM port? Would anyone tell me about this?

Best wishes,
Vladimir.
4 REPLIES 4
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Re: Redirect console to COM port

vladimir_12
Advisor

Thanks, Gideon. But it work when OS has booted. I want get console from serial port in process of booting. I know that some kinds of servers can redirect console by BIOS settings, may it in Proliant servers?

With best wishes,
Vladimir.
Simon Clingan
Advisor
Solution

Most of the current Proliant Servers have inbuilt Remote Insight Lights Out (RILO) which lets you watch the boot process remotely (via a Web page, obviously over ethernet). It also lets you remote control the server once it has booted. Lets you do other things too like remote boot off a floppy image, power down or up, etc etc. RILO costs extra for all the features, some are free.

Older models had the Integrated Remote Console which let you watch the boot up sequence via the Com port (and so into a modem, or Teminal Server, terminal, laptop etc). You could play back an ASR (crash) boot sequence and reset the power (no power off / on). The IRC sounds like what you want, but its not available on the newer models.

Cheers
Simon
vladimir_12
Advisor

Thanks, Simon. This is what i want to know.

With best wishes,
Vladimir.