1753631 Members
6157 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reduce Proliant DL380 G4 Fan noise

Tizzolo03
Collector

Reduce Proliant DL380 G4 Fan noise

Hi, I recently purchased a proliant dl380 g4 server on ebay at a good price, it works and everything is fine, but the fans always go to maximum (I think) power and make too much noise, even when the server has been running for 5 minutes and therefore the temperature is low.

I have been trying for 2 months to decrease the fan speed, installing drivers, following forums but nothing(it didn't changed nothing), some programs such as hpe insight management agents do not install because they say that there is no right hardware for the installation.

If there is someone who can help me thanks, I am also willing to change operating system or bios if necessary, but I need help thanks.

If you have not understood something but can help, tell me

2 REPLIES 2
KM26
HPE Pro

Re: Reduce Proliant DL380 G4 Fan noise

Hi Tizzolo03,

Please check the following on the server. 

Is your server located at a specialized room with HPE recommended air conditioning and server cooling standarts?
Check that there are no blocks for the 'conditioning holes' on the front and back of the server. 

Please ensure that the server is fitted with blanks for unused hard drive and power slots. 

Ensure no unsupported PCI cards are installed. 

Ensure that the OS installed on the server is supported. 

All these may cause server fans spin a little faster/louder.

You may try clearing the NVRAM on the server. 

Please find the steps to clear the NVRAM on any server:-

(***Please remove the drives from the server before clearing the NVRAM****)

1. Clearing the NVRAM

1.1 Please power down the server

1.2 Please disconnect the power cable

1.3 Please press the power button for 10 seconds to power drain the server.

1.4 Please wear an Anti-static Band.

1.5 Please open the access panel of the server.

1.6 Please check the access panel for the system diagram.

1.7 Please look for system maintenance switch.

1.8 Please look for switch no. 6.

1.9 Please set the switch on "ON" state.

1.10 Please start the server.

1.11 Please wait for the message " system maintenance switch is On"

1.12 Please power down the server.

1.13 Please set the switch back to OFF state.

1.14 Please restart the server and check if the server is powering on.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Tizzolo03
Collector

Re: Reduce Proliant DL380 G4 Fan noise

hi km26, 

I have already tried many times to reset the vram by that process, but nothing changes, as an operating system I have windows server 2008, I don't have pci cards, and as regards the cooling system, I don't use the server in a professional context, it is alone in a rack cabinet and in my room, away from stoves and heat sources.

But now I was wondering, in the server I have 4 keddys, the other 2 are fake keddys (I don't know what they are called, they are the ones where hard disks do not enter), but only in 3 out of 4 keddys do I have hard disks, and in 4 I have a broken hard disk, and what may be annoying and how could I fix it?