cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundant power supplies?

Cat Ballou
Occasional Visitor

Redundant power supplies?

I have a Proliant DL 360G5 and my server would not boot up and stay on and gave me the error
POST Error: 1611-Fan Block 1 Failure Automatic Operating System Shutdown
Initiated Due to Fan Failure
Fan Failure (Fan 1, Location Power Supply)
POST Error: Fan Solution Not Sufficient

I have two power supplies, why would the server not bootup with the redundant powersupply? Why would the same message, "fan block failure" be used for two different problems? The system fans and the power supply?
2 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Redundant power supplies?

You're assuming that the message is referring to a fan located inside a power supply. This assumption seems to be incorrect.

Please see pages 37, 39 and 81 of the Maintenance and Service Guide for your server:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf

This server has 3 fan modules, each containing 3 fans. The leftmost one, Fan Module 1 (or "Fan Block 1") provides cooling for both power supplies and not much else. The two other modules have one CPU each and the memory DIMMs between them.

This is a 1U server: everything in design of this server is limited by the severe lack of vertical space. There is probably not enough space to install a fan of necessary performance level inside the individual PSU modules.

MK
MK
Cat Ballou
Occasional Visitor

Re: Redundant power supplies?

Actually I was assuming it was the fan block, but once I opened the server, all fan were spinning.
Tech support walked me through several solutions and in the end he determined that is was a bad power supply because we removed each power supply and when the one was gone, the server stopped wanting to shut down.
My concern is once I replace the power supply, am I going to find that it is still a fanblock problem? Because now the fan block is only having to cool one power supply and once I replace the redundant power supply that has been removed, the fan block will ahve two power supplies to cool.
Thanks!