6118 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Regularly powering down a DL320 and a c3000 that contains a BL460

Michael1
Advisor

Regularly powering down a DL320 and a c3000 that contains a BL460

Hi,

My query concerns powering down both a rackmounted DL320 and a c3000 which contains one BL460 blade. Is this a safe thing to do? From an environmental point of view I am keen to power down both servers to reduce electicity usage, global warming and all that jazz.

I use these for test purposes only and they don't need to be on all the time as a result. I was keen to power them down every night as I go home but have vague memories of someone once telling me I should never power a server down as it might damage disks or something like that.

What I do on the DL320 is shut down the Linux and the button goes from green to orange. On the BL460 using the OnBoard Administrator I go the Device Bays -> 1. CZJ7... -> Virtual Devices and press the 'Press and Hold' button. After a while then I'm told that the server in this bay is currently Off. I then pull the plug on both the DL320 and c3000.

Is this the best way to do this, is there another way or should I just leave them on all the time (which I'd prefer not to do)?

Kind regards,
Michael
3 REPLIES 3
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: Regularly powering down a DL320 and a c3000 that contains a BL460

Well, you'll find a lot of conversations regarding this question in google. It depends o the purposes. Of course, there won't be any problem to power down the servers every day. What your friend has told is also correct, but in fact this is a good advice for the desktop PC, and especially when we are talking about ATA HDDs :)

So - no worries. The servers will work fine ;)
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

I think you are on right way.

Server power down doesn't damage the Disks.
however There are scenarios where it may have damaged the cause of which is not shutdown.

You can power down the enclosure also if you think you are not using it, most of the times.

regard,
Raghuarch
Steve T Griffiths
Occasional Visitor

While I can appreciate your keenness on saving power, it is to be noted that the power draw on a c7000 chassis is worse when you fire it up from a non-powered state, and the running power use probably works out to be similar or less running it 24/7.
The initial draw can be a few kilowatts, as all fans and power supplies as well as any internal components all have to be powered up. My advice is to leave the chassis on all the time and just turn your blade off like you have been doing. As to the DL320, it probably doesn't matter as much.