cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling NT 4

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Reinstalling NT 4

I had Novell 3.12 on my server, I reformated my Drives andinstalled NT4 from scratch. It worked fine. But when I applied Service Pack 3 from the MS Option Pack 4,when I reboot, I get the following message: "Windows NT could not be started as configured. A previous working configuration was used instead".
What package am I missing, I removed and reinstall NT 4 from scratch a couple of times, getting the same results each time.
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Reinstalling NT 4

Whenever you install a Microsoft service pack the required Compaq drivers are overwritten. You must escape out of the reboot of the system after installing the service pack and reinstall the Compaq NT 4.0 Support Software Disks. You can download the Compaq SSD from this web address.
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9192.html
After the Compaq drivers are installed from the SSD, you can then reboot the system. The changes made by the Microsoft service pack will take effect on the next reboot of the system.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Reinstalling NT 4

I am having this same problem. I have Smart Start and Support Software 3.20A. I reload the Windows NT 4.0. When I install the service pack 6a, the server will no longer boot.

I tried doing the SSD (I think) and it says no upgrades are needed at this time. I tried to get a newer SSD (they no longer list an SSD for the Prosignia 500) that is for the 740 Server (their tech support says that any SSD for the servers will work) and it says it can't run without a service pack.

Totally confused an lost. Beginning to hate Compaq hardware. I have reloaded/used NT 4.0 for a very long time and never had this much problems installing.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please email willhud@bnbch.com.

Thanks in advance.