1753604 Members
5940 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote upgrade of BIOS on DL140G2

Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Remote upgrade of BIOS on DL140G2

I have a DL140G2 with both a serial cable attached (and serial redirection enabled -- after POST is also selected), and Lights Out configured.

I am trying to upgrade the BIOS remotely.

I have created an image of the HP BIOS update disk and made it available via PXE. My server boots up off the disk (I see it loading DRDOS) but once it gets to what I assume is the BIOS UPDATE interface, the screen is cleared and I cannot see any text so I am not sure how to proceed to get the BIOS to flash.

I imagine whatever display routines are being run are not compatible with my telnet console or serial application.

Any tips on remotely upgrading the BIOS?
7 REPLIES 7
Steinemann
Occasional Advisor

I'm not quite sure if I got your point.
I would load the diskette obtained from SP32429 into Lights Out's virtual floppy, set the boot once option, and boot. No need to create an image or use PXE.
Did work out always
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Yep, that would work also. At least for getting the thing to boot. Booting the image is not my problem. Once the image boots, the interface to load the BIOS is VGA, and this is not viewable over the serial console nor over the telnet console via ILO...
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Yep, that would work also. At least for getting the thing to boot. Booting the image is not my problem. Once the image boots, the interface to load the BIOS is VGA, and this is not viewable over the serial console nor over the telnet console via ILO...

(Thanks for the reply btw)
ADas_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ray

How do you load the floppy [containing BIOS Firmware update] to Lights-Out Virtual Floppy. The Virtual Media is only available with Lights-Out Select and Advanced Packs [to be purchased separately][http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12469_div/12469_div.pdf] and HP says that DL140G2 Lights-Out Remote Management Card do not support these packs and i need to have DL140G3 as even if the name "Lights-Out 100i" is same, the cards are different [i still cannot accept this] ... Anyways, how did you upgrade the firmware on the DL140G2's
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Well, I didn't use the virtual floppy. I used PXE boot from an image I created of the BIOS upgrade disk for the G2.
ADas_1
Occasional Advisor

ok, did you create the image using CPQIMAGE.exe or dd ...
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Hmm, it's been a while since I created the image, but I believe I used HP's exe to create the bootable floppy and then used dd to create the image of the disk. Then I use memdisk with pxeboot to load it up via the network.