Re: Remove 5x Hotspare and Replace them with 5x SSD Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
RupertF
Frequent Visitor

Remove 5x Hotspare and Replace them with 5x SSD Drive

Hi All,

I would like some advice on the following:

We have a D3700 enclosure with 25x 1.2TB SAS Drives with Smart Array P431 controller attached to HPE DL380p server. The D3700 is configured with 5 Arrays, each array has 5 drives including a hotspare (activate on failure only mode). Now due to requiremnt of more disk space, I am now considering removing the hotspare drive from each array and replace them with 5 SSD drives and form a new array from 5 SSD drives.

Can this be achieved without losing data as our server is running 24x7? Not sure how exactly I can remove the Hotspare from each Array. (alter the configuration of array from Array with spare to Array with no spare)

Any device will be appreciated.

Rupert

4 REPLIES 4
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

yes, you can remove a Host Spare any Time.

Cali

======================
That was not planned in this way.
RupertF
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Cali.

That's encouraging.

I had a look at Smart Storage Administrator, it seems nowhere I can unassign the hotspare drive from an array. I will have detailed look later.

Kind regards,

Rupert

Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

Deleting a spare drive
Procedure
1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > controller > Array
Configuration > Manage Arrays > array > Manage Spare Drives > Delete Spare Drives.
2. From the Delete Spare Drives screen, select the spare that you want to delete, and click Delete Spare
Drives.

======================
That was not planned in this way.
RupertF
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much Cali.