Remove 5x Hotspare and Replace them with 5x SSD Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
RupertF
Regular Visitor

Remove 5x Hotspare and Replace them with 5x SSD Drive

Hi All,

I would like some advice on the following:

We have a D3700 enclosure with 25x 1.2TB SAS Drives with Smart Array P431 controller attached to HPE DL380p server. The D3700 is configured with 5 Arrays, each array has 5 drives including a hotspare (activate on failure only mode). Now due to requiremnt of more disk space, I am now considering removing the hotspare drive from each array and replace them with 5 SSD drives and form a new array from 5 SSD drives.

Can this be achieved without losing data as our server is running 24x7? Not sure how exactly I can remove the Hotspare from each Array. (alter the configuration of array from Array with spare to Array with no spare)

Any device will be appreciated.

Rupert

4 REPLIES 4
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: Remove 5x Hotspare and Replace them with 5x SSD Drive

Hi,

yes, you can remove a Host Spare any Time.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
RupertF
Regular Visitor

Thanks Cali.

That's encouraging.

I had a look at Smart Storage Administrator, it seems nowhere I can unassign the hotspare drive from an array. I will have detailed look later.

Kind regards,

Rupert

Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

Deleting a spare drive
Procedure
1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > controller > Array
Configuration > Manage Arrays > array > Manage Spare Drives > Delete Spare Drives.
2. From the Delete Spare Drives screen, select the spare that you want to delete, and click Delete Spare
Drives.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
RupertF
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much Cali.