108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remove a DL360 G5 from a rack

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay Hoyer
Occasional Advisor

Remove a DL360 G5 from a rack

OK, I have an odd question. Has anyone ever tried to remove a DL360 G5 amongst other servers? Is there some trick involved to releasing the rails? The only way I can figure is to use the Torx tool provided in the server to put the short end of the tool past the rail and server above, rotate the tool so that the Torx end is pointing down, finally pulling the tool as best I can to actually release the rails. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Jay,

to release the server of the rails pull out the server until you hear that the rails are engaged. Now take a look at the rails. There is a latch which you can push. Push the latches on both sides and pull out the server. The rail-kit itself is only engaged to the rack. There are also latches on the outside at the end of the rails (rear part of the rails). Push these latches and slide the rail together. There are no screws or anything else.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Jay Hoyer
Occasional Advisor

Sorry Patrick, I guess I wasn't too clear about my little issue/annoyance. I don't have problem with removing the server from the rails as such, more removing the rails from the rack when there are other servers above and below it. To release these rails appears to be nothing short of a miracle. The G2 to G4 generations of rails were great! spring loaded; just release the lock and push them in to get them out. But these ones..... I must be missing something.
Conrad Bel
Occasional Contributor

In my opinion the G5 rails are almost identical to put in and get out of the rack. Same concept of pushing the spring lever in on the front and then the rear and pulling the rail away from the rack. THere is no special trick.
Temple Murphy
Solution

I finally found the answer by using an old metal tweezer like IC puller. The kind that used to (and maybe still does) come with computer tech tool kits. I simply broke it in half (making two rack rail removers!) and the little lip on the puller fits into the rail slot perfectly.
Jay Hoyer
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much for your responses; especially the one who recommended that a IC chip puller be used.