1752682 Members
5507 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Remove a drive in RAID5

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Remove a drive in RAID5

One of our HD in a RAID5 does not function. While ordering the new drive we removed this drive from the server. The server went into "interim recovery mode" but Netware seems to take forever to mount the volume. If I plug the faulty drive back it will prompt me to choose either Auto-reovery mode or without recovery mode. In either modes Netware also takes forever to mount the file server. Why? Shouldn't RAID5 can still function with the remaining drives when only one drive is removed from it? Now my file server is effectively disabled without the new drive. I would like this server to function with the remaining drives. What should I do?
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Remove a drive in RAID5

Did you down the Server to remove the drive ? If so the drive should have been left in the server until you got the replacement drive . Then all you needed to do was to remove the bad drive and replace it with the new drive while the system was still up .

It's possible you may have another problem with the controller or another drive . Run the Array Diagnostic Utility to determine if there is a problem .