108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Removing second processors from ProLiant DL380 G4 and DL360 G4p

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick (UK)
Occasional Advisor

Removing second processors from ProLiant DL380 G4 and DL360 G4p

We have a ProLiant DL380 G4 and DL360 G4p, both of which were supplied with dual hyperhreading processors installed. I need to downgrade both machines to single processor operation (for reasons too tedious to explain here!). However, since I didnтАЩt originally install the second processors myself, IтАЩm a little unclear about what exactly needs to be done to un-install them. In particular:

(1) From the PDF manuals, it looks as though I would need to remove PPM 2 from the DL380 G4 at the same time as removing the second processor. Is that right?

(2) But for the DL360 G4p, the only thing to remove is the second processor itself?

(3) After removing these components, are there any switches, RBSU settings etc that need to be changed?

(4) Similarly, if the second processors need to be installed again at some point in the future, is there anything that needs to be done apart from simply inserting the components again?

(5) Both servers are running Windows Server 2003. During installation, Windows detected the processor configuration and installed the multiprocessor HAL. In fact, the dual hyperthreading processors give the appearance of a quad processor system in Task Manager. With the second processor removed, will Windows be happy to continue using the existing multiprocessor HAL? IтАЩm assuming it will since the one remaining hyperthreading processor will now give the appearance a dual processor system (rather than single processor).

In theory, it all looks straightforward. But I noticed a few postings in this forum from people who had removed second processors and run into problems.

Any advice appreciated.

Patrick
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Patrick,

(1) Correct.
(2) Correct.
(3) No. Not that I'm aware of.
(4) No. Just be aware of the precautions in the maintenance and service guides - particularly with regard to not separating the processor from the heatsink on the DL360.
(5) Yes. I believe so.

You'll find the relevant guides here:

DL360 G4p http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00732254/c00732254.pdf

DL380 G4
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687567/c00687567.pdf

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Patrick (UK)
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Rob. Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Patrick
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

patrick,
an option could bee booting windos with the option to use only a single processor.

/numproc=number
This switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup. With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs.

Pieter
Patrick (UK)
Occasional Advisor

Pieter,

Thanks very much for the information. This is useful to know.

Patrick