ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752745 Members
4875 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Repartion primary drive in server 2003 server

chacks_25

Repartion primary drive in server 2003 server

i have taken over as sys admin in my company.we have a 2003 server as ads and they have alloted only 12 gb for primary partition and rest of 500 gb for extended partition.now its showing low space and eveyday i clear something to gain a few mb's.now i have rchd a satuaration point where i have nothing left to delete.there r 3 drives available and raid is configured.i wanted to know that if i backup my data and re partion the primary drive,will this affect the raid config...shld i reconfigure the raid for the new partitions..hope iam clear.pls reply at the earliest.
3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Repartion primary drive in server 2003 server

hello, Win2003 can not resize system partition. A recommend use 3rd party utils (like ghost/acronis) - risky, OR and preffered - backup whole server and redesign it again.

Jan
chacks_25

Thank you dear for the reply..i have decided to go ahead and re partion the primary drive,but need to know if i have to reconfigure RAID..coz i have not had a experience in RAID config...so if i re partion will i have to so some settings in RAID...hope my question is not stupid one...
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, how to start.
1. check diks management in windows. Maybe you have only 1 drive (from raid) and then 2 partitions.
2. find out design of your raid array via Hp Array Configurator utility in windows. Confirm disk layout - 3 drives in other raid5 ?

if you have only 1 drive form raid, you do not need to touch raid config, just need to repartition filesystem - easier for you.

jan