108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Repeated Event ID 24677

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Repeated Event ID 24677

I have a ProLiant ML 370 G5 media server running server 2008. I am getting the following informational event continually:
Surface analysis has repaired an inconsistent stripe on logical drive 1 connected to array controller P800 located in server slot 7. This repair was conducted by updating the parity data to match the data drive contents.

I know in the past it was caused by some HP firmware, but I also have another media server built exactly like this one that is not getting this error. Any ideas? Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

What's the P800 controller firmware version?

Is the reported event "Critical"?

What's the RAID level of the logical drive 1?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Hi Sameer!

The P800 Controller firmware on both servers is 6.86. The event is reported as informational, and we are running Raid 6 on this logical drive. Both servers are configured the same but only one is filling the event log with these errors.
cnb
Honored Contributor
Solution

There could be any number of reasons why only the one system is getting these errors. It could be in a specific disk error recovery process that these are seen due a firmware issue, driver recovery, etc...

Run ADU on both systems and post the results.

However, the P800 is

>6.86...

missing critical updates:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157686&swItem=MTX-bcbee8f71c734ef0a95ad68c5e&prodNameId=1157691&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

Version: 7.08 (2 Dec 2009)
Fixes
Update Requirements:
Critical: HP requires users to update to this firmware version immediately.

Firmware Dependency:
Updating the HP DL360G5 System ROM to revision P58 3/9/08 or higher is required in addition to updating to this HP Smart Array firmware revision for the modified shutdown sequence to ensure sufficient time for HDD head parking of internal HDDs.

Updating the HP MSA 60 and/or MSA 70 firmware version to 2.16 or higher is required to enable dual domain functionality

Enhancements/New Features:
├в ┬в Improved performance during offset non-contiguous writes.

Problems Fixed:
├в ┬в Fixed blue screen with One Button Disaster Recovery (tape connect) on FW version 6.86.
├в ┬в Fixed an issue in HP Smart Array Firmware that incorrectly fails SATA drives
├в ┬в Fixed an issue where enabling Drive write cache fails the volume with multiple drive failures.
├в ┬в Fixed a controller lock-up issue with HP Smart Array controller during SATA RAID6 writes
├в ┬в Fixed an issue in HP Smart Array firmware version 6.86 where the POST error 1777 was displayed when a HP Smart Array P800 was connected to a HP StorageWorks MSA50

Check all BIOS, F/W, Drivers and applications to make sure you have the latest required versions.

FWIW:

This fix may also resolve your other issue you posted about the MSA60 drives.

Rgds,

Rancher
Honored Contributor

Thanks! I will try to update the firmware this week. That very well might explain it, along with my other issues.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

The HP MSA 60 is at firmware version 2.18 and I updated the controller firmware to 7.08 last night. I am still getting these notifications continually in the system log.
I ran ADU but I am sorry, I don't know how to post the results.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Rancher,

They just updated the P800 firmware to 7.14. It takes two reboots apparently to apply it completely (no idea why). I have recently applied the P800 firmware 7.08 to all but 4 of our P800's in our environment. We seem to notice no issues, but they are running in a G5 with MSA70 attached.

What has HP said?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I will upgrade to the 7.14 and let you know what happens. Just as an FYI, I am also having trouble with what I feel is excessive hard drive failures as well. The other thread: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1404819
cnb
Honored Contributor

The ADU you posted on the other thread only dealt with the 146GB RAID5 drives. So if could post the ADU for the other disks, We can take a look at those events too.

Rgds,
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Here is the report for another failed drive in the Raid 6 config that failed this weekend.