New Discussion юеВ

Replace HP P440 controller with HP P840 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

Replace HP P440 controller with HP P840 controller

Hello, good afternoon.

I am currently using the P440 controller on an ML server that manages eight disks in RAID 5. I would like to be able to swap it for a P840 so that I can continue to add disks to the RAID 5 I mentioned.

As I understand it, within the same HP controllers there shouldn't be any problem detecting the RAID configuration, but I want to make sure if someone confirms it. I don't know if you have to make some changes in the SSA to detect the RAID again.

And the other question is that the P840 controller has two connectors, once I add the other cable, will I be able to expand the RAID 5 or will I have to manage another independent RAID?

Thank you very much.

4 REPLIES 4
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Replace HP P440 controller with HP P840 controller

System recommended content:

1. Advisory: HPE Smart Array Controllers - CUSTOMER ACTION RECOMMENDED: Cache May Become Disabled on ProLiant Servers Configured With Smart Array P440 or P840 Controllers Using a 4GB Cache Module

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Replace HP P440 controller with HP P840 controller

Hello,

Before performing any changes, please have backup of data. 

Yes, you may install the Smart Array P840 controller to the hard drives and the RAID setup will be automatically imported into the controller and there would, usually, be no data loss.

You may add more hard drives, expand the array and then extend the logical drive across the new ones as well. 

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

So perfect, my big concern was that the P840 controller has two connectors, and I didn't know if they were completely isolated and I had to make a new Array. But well, if I can extend the Array I already have, all the better, it's all clear.

Thank you very much.

nikolaypetr
Occasional Visitor

yes you are right you can just change one controller to another without performing any special actions