1753644 Members
5823 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace Smart Array 532 ctrl with Smart Array 641 = BSOD

Andr├й Botha
Occasional Advisor

Replace Smart Array 532 ctrl with Smart Array 641 = BSOD

System: hp G2 Proliant ML350 Server (Win2K Server fully patched).

Compaq Smart Array Controller 532 - borked.

Replaced with Smart Array 641 (Compaq P/N 305414-001).

New controller detected and correctly assigned physical/logical drives. So far so good.

System won't boot - configured controller to boot device. System STARTS to boot.

Gets past the (F8) for Win2K boot options. Windows server logo appears with scrolling progress bar.... BSOD!

Same for booting in safe mode:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (blah blah)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (blah blah - usual remove new hardware info)

See here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/pr
ork/prhd_exe_qhzo.mspx?mfr=true

Basically says new SCSI controller is the problem - edit boot.ini (see Additional Resources).

Typically M$, Additional Resources is not much help.

So what do I do now?
9 REPLIES 9
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi Andre,

I think you'd need to pre load the driver for the 641. But how you are going to do this Im not sure.

I think if you used another 5 series controller, you might be ok...

Sorry I cant help anymore, but thats what the problem is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
DragomirAtea
Trusted Contributor

Hi Andr├Г┬й!

If possible you should insert the 641 SA before taking the 532 SA out...

Boot as usual on the 532 SA, apply drivers for the 641 SA in the OS.

Power down the server and move the SCSI-cable from the 532 to the 641.

Boot in to RBSU (RomBasedSetupUtility)
Change bootcontroller to the 641.

Now you should bwe able to boot with the disks attached to the 641 instead, if you succed power down and remove the 532 controller.

Good luck!
Dragomir
Andr├й Botha
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dragomir

I should not use slang in a post. "Borked" is broken / unserviceable. The drives in the RAID cage will not even power on using the 532. I get error messages from the card itself.

Thanks anyway.

Andr├Г┬й
David Paris_1
Frequent Advisor

Did you apoint the controller to the correct OS?
Andr├й Botha
Occasional Advisor

Hi David

Yes. I went into the setup to check.

A further development:

I booted with the Win2K Server CD and chose the repair option. The install CD does not detect any hard drives installed. So I downloaded the driver (from hp) and put it on a stiffy. Re-booted with the OS CD and pressed F6 (to load any additional SCSI drivers) and loaded the 641 driver. Now the install CD detects the hard drives and offers me the Recovery Console. At this point I canceled the repair because I'm on unknown ground.

It does not seem to "remember" the drivers if I try and boot normally.

What I can't understand is that it starts to boot. Surely if there was a setup problem I would not even be able to choose between booting in Safe Mode or Normal or whatever. I would expect the "invalid system disk" or "missing NTLR" error message. If I choose Normal or Safe mode I get the Windows logo and the scrolling progress bar. To me this implies that the problem is with Windows itself - not the configuration of the hardware.

Regards
Andr├Г┬й
pragma

Hi,

You already had answer - previous answers were good. What you did with controllers is a basically rookie mistake !
This is what you should did:
1. On working Windows system with SA5xx controller installed and running you should install addittional drivers for SA6xx controller,
2. Shutdown server and replace SA5xx with SA6xx controller.
3. Go to the bios/setup and choose SA6xx controller as a boot controller.
4. Exit bios and restart server - Windows should load just fine !! - I did it several times.

Last sentence - How you expected that Windows will be able to boot properly with incorrect driver for storage controller ?

regards

Marek GOdlewski
MCSE
HP ASE PRO
pragma

Hi,

What you can try is to replace driver file for SA5xx in the system with SA6xx (remember to rename SA6xx file driver to be identical with current SA5xx file driver). You can boot your system with soft like BartPE, Winternals ERD Commander and gain access to you disks which make file replace possible.

regards

Marek Godlewski
MCSE
HP ASE PRO
Andr├й Botha
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pragma

Your first suggested solution depends on, as you said in point 1 , a WORKING install. I think I made it quite clear that the system was NOT working. Your solution is fine for a hardware upgrade - useless for hardware failure.

As I did not know the 532 card was going to fail, I did not load drivers in anticipation of a failure.

The simple solution is here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1153772&admit=-682735245+1188201562005+28353475

Thank you for responding anyway.

Andr├Г┬й
Andr├й Botha
Occasional Advisor