108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace SmartArray Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
H_3
Occasional Advisor

Replace SmartArray Controller

I have a DL380 G2 server that has a SmartArray 5300 and a SmartArray 5i. Currently, all drivers are connected to the 5300.

I want change the connection of the drives to the SmartArray 5i so that I can remove the 5300 controller.

How can I do this without losing container information and the data on the drives?

Thanks for the help.
8 REPLIES 8
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor
Solution

You should be able to do switch by moving the cable and the 5i should pick up the arrays of the SA5300; both controllers use the same driver. Just make sure the driver and firmware on the 5i are up-to-date.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

My approach would be as follows:

1. Upgrade the firmware on both the controllers to the latest.
2. Upgrade Proliant Support Pack to the latest V.7 - this will upgrade the drivers for the OS.
3. Perform a full backup of the data partions hosted on the SA5300 controller.
4. Shut down the host.
5. Remove all the drives (part of an array at one time and move to the destination SA5i in sequence, repeat this till you have moved all the drives and hence all the arrays on SA5300 to SA5i).
6. Power up the server.
7. At POST you should see messages straight after initialisation of SA5i saying "Attachment of new logical drives detected, array configuration information has been updated...".
8. Continue booting up and ensure you have all the logical volumes available to the OS.
EndOfProcedure.

Hope this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If suppose answer will be NO.

But even if you are trying take backup before proceding.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
H_3
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to Vijay and Saket!

I moved the cable from the 5300 to the 5i and the 5i saw the logical drives. I did have to change the boot order though.

But now when I look at the HP ACU I have a status message (error) 1082 which reads:

"The current array controller has one or more logical drives in array A that were created on a different controller and moved to it. Expansion, Extension, and Migration will be disabled on the array as long as the transported logical drive(s) exist on it and there is no battery backed cache on this controller.

If you want to perform any of these operations, possible solutions include:
- Move the array back to the original controller.
- If your controller supports it, install an array accelerator (battery backed write cache)."

The controller has a battery pack and the array accelerator is enabled on the 5i controller.

Any ideas? Full points will be given to the person who has the fix :-0

Thanks!
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

here we go

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX030604_CW02
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi there H,

Glad to hear our replies were of help to ya.

But sad to see no points for our last post:(

Answer to your query:
SA5300 have the battery backed cache module installed which means additional SDRAM for the controller to perform write and read caching of data.
SA5i has no write cache capability as there is no battery backed cache. It still supports read cache tho.
So, the error message indicates that although SA5i has recognised these drives from SA5300 and at the same time it also realises that these logical drives were created on a controller that supported write cache required for expansion, migration etc, these features will not be supported on SA5i as there is no BBWC.

Hope this is clear as mud and this time we will get points for both our replies:)

Regards,
H_3
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again Vijay and Saket!

Bummer about the error, but it's not likely that I'll expand the array. Besides, I only see it when I view the ACU.

Cheers!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi H,

Thanks for the points:)

Agreed. If you do not plan on migration or expansion of existing array on SA5i, no need to worry about the status messages.

Enjoy!

Regards,