ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753844 Members
7379 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replace SmartArray P840 in DL380 Gen9, not picking up raid configuration from the disks

pgustavsson
Frequent Advisor

Replace SmartArray P840 in DL380 Gen9, not picking up raid configuration from the disks

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I have a customer who logged a case with HPE, because his cache module is failed according to iLO4.

However, HPE has been onsite at least twice now with a replacement p840 array controller, but each time the controller is replaced, it does not pickup the raid configuration from the disks (they have two luns)

The new array controller has been flashed with the latest firmware.

Its an important server, so downtime has to be kept to a minimum, and each time the controller has failed to be replaced, we have put the old controller back into the server, and then ofcourse the raid config is back again.

What can one do in this scenario?

Br

Patric

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Replace SmartArray P840 in DL380 Gen9, not picking up raid configuration from the disks

The RAID information is stored in what is knows as the 'RIS' area on each disk, so it is odd the replacment controllers are not picking up the array configuration. as long as the controller firmware is the same or newer on the replacements there shouldn't be any issue.  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
FabioC1
HPE Pro

pgustavsson 

Is very curious this, because the raid is configured in HDs, when replace the smart array to same model, normally recognize all Logical Drivers.

When you replace the smart array, in HP SSA, by Intelligent Provisinong, is not recognized the Logical Driver ?
Recognize only unassign drives ?

FabioC1 - HPE Pro

Accept or Kudo

pgustavsson
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I actually do not know what hpe ssa config sees, i have not been present when the hpe engineer has replaced the controller.

He just tells the customer that the server wont boot.

I have done the procedure many times myself, and it has never been an issue, so i am just looking for any steps that the hpe engineer might be missing when he tries to replace the controller.

Br

Patric