ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753396 Members
7254 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace "good" drive in a Raid configuration

Troy Purvis

Replace "good" drive in a Raid configuration

I have had a hard drive fail on a dl380 G3. I have received a replacement drive. However, when I pulled the "failed" drive out to get the Serial# off of it I wasn't thinking and put the drive back in the server. It appears the drive is working correctly now and the Raid was rebuilt to the hard drive.

I would still like to replace the drive even though it appears to be working properly. If I were to take out the drive and replace with the new drive, would that screw up the Raid?

Any help would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Troy,
Pulling the "failed" disk drive out while the server is running is fine. Just give the server a few minutes before you put the new disk drive in.

I just love Smart Array systems.

Anthony
e4services
Honored Contributor

It is HP suggested and good prctice to do exactly what you did when you have a failure indication on a single HD. The 'failure' indication does not have to mean that the drive has physically failed, only htat there was a failure in so Raed/Write operation and the RAID needs attention. Sometimes it has to do with the data for which there is the Consistancy Check for the data, something you should do at this point. Other times the controller may have been the problem and made the error, having nothing to do with the physical drive.
I would suggest not replacing the drive at this point, but Consistancy Check the RAID and let it run. You have the replacement and you can replace the drive if it fails in the future.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Better option is to replce the Drive.
Want to keep it under observation that drive me keep on working, It can be loose connection so other reason which loead to that.

But, replacing a drive is better option.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Troy Purvis

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. I have just finished replacing the drive and all is well.

Thanks again.
Troy Purvis

I shutdown the server and took out the bad drive. Booted up the server until it was fully booted than put in the new drive.

It has rebuilt the raid 5 successfully.

Thanks to all for your help.