1753300 Members
7142 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacement Drive Stuck on "Ready to Rebuild"

NatBaldwin
Occasional Contributor

Replacement Drive Stuck on "Ready to Rebuild"

I have a HP DL385 G2 server with a Smart Array E200 controller. There are four 146gb 10k SAS hard drives in a RAID 1+0 array. One of the drives failed. When I replaced it, the array reported that it was rebuilding; I can even watch the % complete counter increase on the Array Configuration Utility. When it gets to 100%, the drive's status reverts to "Ready to rebuild." I've tried multiple times, and I've upgraded the Smart Array firmware to the latest version. I haven't found any documentation or forum posts to explain this, and the Array Config Utility and System Management Homepage don't seem to provide any options for effecting change, they only display information, so I can't even attempt the rebuild again without a reboot (of course this is a production server). I will be trying to upgrade the firmware of the hard drives themselves tonight (the old drives are HPD5, new one is HPD7), but I am not convinced that will make any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Loubser

Same problem, different model server and controller

DL380 G3

Smary Array 5312

Drive goes to 100% rebuild then back to "ready for rebuild" state

We've upgraded the firmware on all components.

We've replaced the controller.

We've replaced the drive [36GB 10K U32].

Any feedback very welcome.

cheers

nhbilly
Frequent Advisor

Do you have a diffrent drive to try?
NatBaldwin
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I tried multiple drives, that was not the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful information; we gave up, decided to start work on replacing the server. This was taking some time (it's an important machine), when, a full month later - BAM! the drive array reported that it was back in full healthy working order. Couldn't find any clues in logs about what had changed - just finally decided to work. Odd.

nhbilly
Frequent Advisor

I guess patience is a virtue.

Now update the firmware?

NatBaldwin
Occasional Contributor

As I mentioned, I had been planning to update the firmware the night after I submitted the question. I updated all the firmware, and so did the other gentleman who posted in this thread. It didn't help.

shawshank63
Occasional Visitor

Any resolution to this???  I am having the same problem on a DL180 G5. When I put the drive that I want rebuilt in another machine with the same hardware it  worked fine.

So It looks like maybe a problem with the raid card or software???

PZel
Trusted Contributor

Most of the time this is because one of the other disks in that same Array has also errors.

Look in the Systems Management HomePage under Storage/LogicalDrives and you see which drives are ' coupled together' in a RAID or mirror set. Then, look at the Statistics of all the drives that were in that  set,

thats giving problems with rebuilding.

Important are: Hard Read Errors and Hard Write Errors. When thats is say, more than 10, then its unlikely,

that if another disk in that set  is suddenly failing, a new drive will succesfully rebuild.

Best thing to do: Make an backup, exchange all disks with a high Hard Error count and restore backup.

PZ